SP2 Network Install: 272 MB. Single Machine Install: ??? MB.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Does anybody know a definitive answer (and source) I can give to all the people who keep telling me they don't want to touch the Network Install version, and they want to know the EXACT size of the Single Machine Install version?

Mebbe I haven't been able to FIND a set size because (maybe, ... I'm guessing, based on other MS downloads in the past) the size varies with the machine, and the install files have to be downloaded live. Is that how it's working for the Single Install version?

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

the definitive answer is
    the 266MB download is NOT for regular users. Dependent on what post SP1 hotfixes are currently installed will either add to or deduct from the total MB they will have to download including the core update of SP2. I would say that the average person doesn't have many post sp1 and should expect a heavy download. if they want to minimize the download time, have them get all the updates available now.

Have them order it on CD from MS. i'd post the link but MS keeps yanking it every time I post it ..lol

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Kodo :)
    You are indeed correct. I have just come across this article from the BBC in which Paul Randle, Microsoft's UK manager of all things XP, said the final SP2 package would be about 80MB in size when released
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3774567.stm

5. Nirvana_CN

Nirvana_CN Private First Class

I beleive i can help here.

On XP system with SP1a and fully updated with all post SP1 security and optional patches, it takes 82Mb-95Mb

On XP with SP1a and no other patches installed it will take 90-140Mb

On a barebones XP with no SP, depending no the services you ahve running , it is 95-272Mb~ ( I doubt anyone will have every service, and about a million apps installed and running to warrent a download of this size :) )

This was last tested with RC2 in a simulated corportate environment, but i would beleive it will be accurate in the final Version, give or take a MB each way.

6. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Nick, Kodo, and Nirvana:

Many, many thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds