ntfs.sys (blue screen) problem!

Discussion in 'Software' started by 3525252, Dec 21, 2006.

1. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

I cannot boot up my computer at all because I get the blue screen that tells me something is bad with the ntfs.sys, how do i fix this? I have the windows XP disk but it still wont let me repair or reinstall windows because of the blue screen.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There is a pretty good chance that you will blue screen in recovery console, too.

Post back if thats the case.

There is a method for running chkdsk without using ntfs.sys, but I don't care to post the procedure without knowing for sure, first.

4. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

yah i get instent blue screen.

5. TimW

6. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

cant get past screen 4

recovery gets blue screened and installing xp again freezes.

7. TimW

Starting to think you got a hard drive or ram problem ...can you slave it to another computer and run chkdsk on it there?

8. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

how would i do that?

take out the hard drive and put it in another computer?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If your filesystem is corrupt, you cannot install XP, nor can you repair it.

Does it always give you an error with ntfs.sys?

If so, you cn create the boot floppies, and remove the ntfs.sys file.

Then go to recovery console, and run chkdsk /r.

Obviously, if you blue screen again with a different file, you have larger issues at hand.

I'm digging up the instructions.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Meh, I can't find it. Basically, make the setup floppies from here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Then locate the txtsetup.sif file. Don't ask me which floppy, i dont recall. probably the first 1.

comment out the line that loads ntfs.sys:

[FileSystems.Load]
    fat = fastfat.sys
    ;ntfs = ntfs.sys

This is an adaptation of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228888, which is for windows 2000.

11. 3525252

3525252 Private E-2

can i burn it to a cd and make it a bootable cd because i dont have a working floppy drive

12. greger

greger Private E-2

yes
    CDBurnerXP Pro a free program will let you make a bootable CD

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Which is irrelevant. What good is a bootable CD, if you can't edit the information that would be on it?

One look at the XP boot floppy creation program would make the discovery that indeed it cannot be used to create any type of application on CD.

Give this some thought before posting, please.

So in closing, no, you cannot burn it to a CD, and have any hope of it working.

At that point, you might want to try something like a WinPE utility, which still may not work.

In fact, its likely not to work.

Have you checked your ram yet, as per a previous suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds