Duplicate Motherboard, CPU much hotter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by llama91, Jun 17, 2012.

1. llama91

llama91 Private E-2

Hey guys,
    I have a bit of a strange problem that I can't seem to solve.

The story goes that I was using an -
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO motherboard

And for one reason or another it stopped POST'ing itself and decided to never boot again, online speculation suggests that the northbridge kicks the bucket.
    So after getting in contact with the shop I got it from, they agreed I could come in and pick up a duplicate board for free, and see how it goes.

So I install this duplicate board, being sure to make sure I clean and reapply the thermal paste to the CPU, and it boots first time, so no worries.
    Upon attempting to play a game, or do anything that puts the CPU under load, it now becomes so hot, that if I dont leave the side of my case off, it powers off within 5 minutes.

The reason this puzzles me so much, is that before, with a duplicate board and its stock cooler, the CPU maxed out at maybe somewhere around 56 degrees on load, and maybe 35 ish idle.
    Now, with the exact same setup, only the board swapped, idle is about 40-45 degrees, and on load is a maximum of about 80, which is roughly 10 degrees under a power off.

I know that the stock cooler isn't amazing, but by swapping out the motherboard I seem to have gained about 30 degrees. The CPU voltages seem fine, but for the sake of better educated people I'll include an image at the bottom and my system spec.

I appreciate that the easy answer is to just buy a bigger cooler, but I was hoping maybe someone could shed some light on what might be causing this.

Spec -
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition - 3.2GHZ
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO motherboard
    4GB of reasonably generic RAM
    Radeon HD 6780 1GB

Image -
    [​IMG]

If im missing important information here, feel free to harass me and I'll get it for you.

Kind Regards,
    Llama91

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I was under the impression that a Phenom II core ran at roughly 1.4 volts.

It looks like your voltage is low, but I could be mistaken...

3. llama91

llama91 Private E-2

The BIOS says is runs at roughly 1.27V
    If I had to guess that has something to do with that Cool and Quiet feature,
    which, if im not entirely mistaken is a product of AMD that lowers the power and in turn the temperature of cores that are not under load.

4. the mekanic

Idle I run at 1.116v, and "full bore" I top out at 1.464v, and I also run a Deneb CPU. It's cool today, an I'm 36C at idle on air.

Voltage/amperage are an inverse proportion. Raising the voltage, decreases the required amperage, and vice versa.

I won't definitively say it's the cause, but it could have something to do with the extra heat, as more amperage runs things hotter.

Using too much thermal paste can cause a problem, or it just could be an issue with the board itself. Silly question, but have you double checked to make sure the heat sink is firmly in place, and that the fans are spinning and the power is connected?

5. llama91

llama91 Private E-2

Yeah I've been over just about everything, checked and double checked.
    I made sure the thermal paste was fairly light, its kicking some pretty warm air out of the back, so the heatsink must be doing its work of dissipating it.

The voltage and amperage is an interesting Idea, though I will have to do some research into safely changing these values, thankyou for your input

6. the mekanic

amd quad cores like the deneb require 1 .4 volts to be stable. The BIOS makes adjustments, but the base voltage must be set properly.

when overclocking, or making adjustments bios settings are superior to software settings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds