Trouble with internet connection in loft...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chakragod, Mar 24, 2006.

1. chakragod

chakragod Private E-2

Hello, I'm new here and I already love the website and all the information on here.

I am currently having a problem. I recently moved into some new lofts and have free internet. I know that it is connected through a router to all the other apartments. Now the first computer that I hooked up works fine (which is what Im on now) I had to get wipe the hard drive and re-install windows XP due to the previous user having 100000 spyware and adware pop-ups and making it useless. After I re-installed windows everything worked fine, and the connection has never given me trouble.

Now onto the problem. I now have my fathers old computer that is wwwaayyy better than my current one. I re-installed windows on the other one (lets call it Computer #2). But even before that, my father had hooked it up to there connection and it worked just fine. But once I tried to hook it up to my loft connection, it would not work at all.

So..in an attempt to copy what I did with Computer #1 that works...I re-installed windows on computer #2. No luck, it still would not work. As I saw in other posts, it had the 169.x.x.x IP address that I found out with ipconfig. So this is my delima...computer #1's connection works fine and I cannot get computer #2's connection working at all. When I configured the connection I did it exactly like I did on computer #1 but to no avail.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated...and any more info you need, I will gladly provide. Thanks!

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

169.xxx.xxx.xxxx is the default IP that Windows assigns when it can not find a DHCP Server.

So, either the Building Router does not like the new computer. I.e. ask the person in charge if and how you can change computer.

Or something is wrong n your settings.

In General, you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following these steps.

Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

Step Two. Verify Basic network setting in the OS: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.

Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet

If need to Reinstall the Network Settings; Log to this page, it have a lot of links to instructions for Windows Network Installation - http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

:)

P.S. Something seems to be wrong with your Keyboard it is Stuck on Bold.;)

3. true1337

true1337 Private E-2

also try to make a static ip for the computer it is possible that there are other computers on the network using the same ip due to it being the default.

4. chakragod

chakragod Private E-2

Ok, I will try to troubleshoot it with what you said above. I would have just said to hell with it and had someone from the network provider come over, but because it's free we don't get free tech support or anything like that. I also brought over ANOTHER computer from my parents house that was working just fine and then would not work on this connection.

Also I forgot to mention in case it wasn't clear, I'm using a direct connection from the cable jack that connects to the router that connects to the modem (duh, I know)(both of which I don't have access to of course =/)

I was also thinking (not knowing) that it was possible that since it's free and again Im not a networking expert, that it would only assign the addresses to one computer and if it wasn't that computer, it obviously wouldn't recognize it and thus the connection wouldn't work.

5. true1337

true1337 Private E-2

in most cases i would agree with the last part but it is somthing you must check. often times networks will not work bc of ip adress conflicts

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds