Internet Working/Sharing Not Working on XP Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RMadness66, Mar 22, 2006.

1. RMadness66

RMadness66 Private E-2

I installed a wirless network at my house awhile back with a NETGEAR Wireless Router. There are 4 computers on it, 3 desktops and 1 laptop. The 3 desktops all have SP2 and the laptop has SP1. The internet connection on all the computers works fine. The problem is that there is a problem sharing between all of the computers. Sometimes the computers are visible and sometimes they aren't. Sometimes I can get to files and sometimes I can't. I was certain the others were connected today and when I tried to access one of the CPU's I got a "Not accessible...might not have permission...the network name cannot be found." The other CPU gave "Not accessible...might not have permission...access denied." I was able to access the laptop which is usually not the case. I was able to access both of the CPU's earlier in the day. It just doesn't make any sense to me. My CPU is hooked up directly to the router and the others are wireless. I tried reinstalling using the Wireless Network Wizard but read on here that the SOHO Wizard is what I need. Is the the Small Home or Office Wizard? I tried that and it still didn't work. I also pinged all of the computers and got a response from each. Thanks in advance, this site is great.

2. RMadness66

RMadness66 Private E-2

It's XP Home Edition by the way

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Firewalls on? Is something shared on each?

4. RMadness66

RMadness66 Private E-2

Yeah, something is shared on each. I have a firewall on and so does the CPU that gave "access denied" error. Both of those CPU's use Windows Firewall with the exception for File and Printer sharing checked. I'm pretty sure the other 2 computers are the same way but I can't get to them right now.

5. RMadness66

RMadness66 Private E-2

Alright, I've been working on things and I have an update. Currently all firewalls and antivirus software is off on all computers. I can access all of the shared files on the other computers though the laptop does not show up in View Workgroup Computers. All the computers can access the others but can not access my shared files. I tried unsharing and sharing them after everything was turned off but had no luck. Whatd you guys think?

6. cappii

cappii Private E-2

Just a thought... make sure that you are not using the same computer names for any of the computers/laptops. Also, You can use the XP cd to get your network configuration straight, since most laptops have no floppies. Also, are you using a 3rd party program for your laptop's wireless?

7. RMadness66

RMadness66 Private E-2

Well, all the computers have a different name. I dont think the party has third party software. All the CPUs can access it and it can access the others so it appears to be configured right. It just doesn't show up in my Workgroup Computers and like the other CPUs it can't access my shared files. It does have Service Pack 1 though and the others have SP2. Think that could account for it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds