Ghost hunting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goldenskull, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Looks like a very nice traditional hotel.

As to whether I ghost hunt, No. I will say that I have no viewpoint on if ghosts are real or not, likely something in it but also there are a hell of alot of those that fake this also (not saying this hotel is doing this, but more so those TV reality shows and mediums who make a fortune from TV), I'd need more pure scientific proof before swayed one way or another, bit like the aliens in space debate.

But I had a good look at the pics on the site and nice place.

3. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I agree with you, David. It would take more than anecdotal evidence, which may or may not be truthful, (the belief may be truthful, but that doesn't make it factually truthful), some blurry photos that could be many things and sound tracks so poor that they could be many things, as well before I become a 'believer'. Then there are the straight out fakes and scammers.
    Same can be said for U.F.O./alien debates, religious/spiritual phenomena, Sasquatches, etc.
    The lack of quantitative/tangible proof, as opposed to empirical/qualitative proof or evidence does NOT disprove these things either, I hasten to add. Likewise, conspiracy theories, (that the tangible evidence is really there, but it is a secret, for whatever reason(s)), does not impress me one iota, either.

4. DavidGP

Barry I think that is a great explanation you have posted and I agree with you, quantitative proof is needed in these cases, I do not disbelieve but I do not also believe, sitting on the fence so to speak.

I just hate the TV shows that portay this side of science is a bad light as they are doing this for cheap ratings and laughs as the serious side maybe lost in the TV-drama, I think the paranormal has some legs to run with and we are not to the bottom of the existance of the likes of spirits (maybe those that have passed that are still in-tune with family members) who knows.

But these TV charlatans are not doing this side of science any good.

5. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

I agree with much of the arguments put by you and Phantom. Being a typical "Doubting Thomas", I have no room for doubt regarding the negative and positive aspects the paranormal can present.

That said, I'm inclined to caution any attempts of "thrill seeking" of the paranormal.

LS

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I don't mind the publicity that shows like "Ghost Hunters" give to the field of parapsychology, but I also do have to agree that the sensationalism and production for ratings purposes does little to further the actual science behind it.

EMF readings, EVP, and the photography involved all must coalesce to give some type of empirical proof.

Using psuedo-science to garner ratings and make a quick buck detracts from the exploration of the nature of existence. Are we truly "beings of light", or just "crude matter"?

I'd prefer to put my faith in Master Yoda's philosophy, and real empirical evidence.

:major

7. DavidGP

LS that is a great position to have on this in that the TV shows we have on all continents at times are more "thrill seeking" than that of actual science, hence the inclusion at times of so called "celebrities" being apart of said show!

8. DavidGP

Hey Glooz

I agree with you on swamp gas I think motc7 suffers from this affliction ;)

I just do not think ghosts are going to pose for a TV show, and its more likely to be an individual experience if such an event it so exist.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds