Blue Screen Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bookbinder, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

I have Windows 2000 Prof. SP4 and Norton Systemworks 2005. Last Friday afternoon, I was online viewing a catalog and the system froze. I restarted the computer and got the Dell screen, got the Windows screen (twice), got a black screen, then a faster-than-lightning blue screen that reads "unexpected kernel mode trap - beginning dump of physical memory - physical memory dump complete" - and then it just goes back into that cycle. (Of course it had to restart 20 times for me to actually read this because it is FAST.) I can open in "safe mode with networking". I can't open in VGA. I read that there could be a conflict on startup with Norton and Windows. (I had both set to automatically update.) Windows update advised calling the computer manufacturor (Dell) which I did on Saturday and ended up on hold for 1 hour, 45 minutes until I finally gave up.
    After reading posts past midnight last night, I tried to check video drivers today and it won't work in safe mode. I downloaded SymNRT to try to remove Norton but it won't work in safe mode. I put in the W2K CD and tried the manual repair but it still does the same thing. The uninstaller won't work in safe mode. Check-it says nothing is wrong and I've scanned for viruses/malware with Spybot, Norton, Trend, AVG and Ad-Aware. Help!

2. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

Hi, Have you tried a Last Known Good Configuration ? If Not its worth givving a try,

Anyways if that does not work out

Try This

Enter Safe Mode,
    Right Click on My Computer Icon
    Left Click on Properties
    Left Click on Advanced
    In the First Section " Performance "
    Left Click on Settings
    Left Click on Advacned in the " Performance Options "
    Under the Section Virtual Memory
    Left Click on Change
    Left Click and Select " Custom " Radio Button
    In the Section " Initial Size " Type the Size ( Which would 1.5 times the actual Memory Installed in the System ) and the Maximum Size ( Would be 1.5 Times of the Initial Size which you would have set )
    Click on Set
    Click on Apply
    Click on Ok
    Click on Apply Again
    Click on Ok

Even if this does not help,

Then Boot through the Win 2000 CD,
    Press " R " in the Initial Screen
    When the Prompt is at you HDD Drive Letter
    Type CHKDSK /R < Enter >
    This should normally take 20 to 30 Minutes to complete.

Try and Let us Know !

3. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

I had tried "last known" several times and still got the blue screen. My System Properties - Advanced - gives me two options: Applications and Background Services. The Applications portion was already set to 768 minimum and 1536 maximum, which I think works with your formula for 1.5 times - right? Background Services is set to the same values. I think my installed memory is 512. I tried the CD earlier today (chose repair, not complete installation). Should I try again?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

From what you just posted, did you get into safe mode?

If so, click START, then RUN, then type in msconfig (press enter).

Now, select (.) Select Startup, and uncheck "Load Startup Items". Press OK and reboot. If you still have issues, then repeat and Uncheck "Load System Services".

If one of these "fixes" works, then you have an issue with either a service or a startup application that is blocking you from running normally. Now is the long drawn out processs of finding what is causing this issue.

5. Hardmarkerin

Hi

Boot Through the Windows 2000 CD
    Then Chose R
    Then Type CHKDSK /R

Which Dell Computer Model you have ?

Could you please gimme the SV Tag of your Dell computer ?

6. Hardmarkerin

You are having Windows 2000 and iam not sure if you would be able to access MSCONFIG directly as mentioned below becoz, Windows 2000 does not have MSCONFIG Utility, You may have to download it, but its worth trying out !

7. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

No luck with msconfig. "Cannot find file." I have a Dell Precision 330, SV Tag 450VV01.

8. Hardmarkerin

I think this was shipped with Windows ME and then later an Upgrade to XP ????

9. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

No. I got the SV tag wrong. It's 459VV01. Sorry!

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

ack, sorry, msconfig is not part of windows 2000.

Unless Hardmarkerin has a better solution, then try:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=619

Then uncheck everything. Then reboot into normal mode.

It looks like safe mode works, but normal mode does not, so, something is preventing a normal startup.

11. Hardmarkerin

Well then this has a Factory OS of Win 2000 as you said,

Do one thing,
    When you get the Dell Logo, Tap on F12 Key
    You will get the Boot Menu
    Choose IDE CD Rom
    Insert the Windows 2000 CD in the TOP Optical Drive
    Hit Enter
    Press any Key when it asks
    Then wait for 2 or 3 mins,
    It will give the Scree " Welcome to Windows Setup "
    at that Screen Press " R "
    Then it will enter Recovery Console
    Then if it asks for an OS to Chose Press the Number 1 Key
    Then Hit enter for the Admin Password if you havent sent anything else type the password
    Then Type CHKDSK /R
    that should fix the issue

12. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

I haven't been able to download ANYTHING today except Spybot. Is "msconfig" something that can be purchased at an office supply?

13. Hardmarkerin

Lots of site that allow to download MS Config, No Need to buy it

14. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

I got as far as "r" and that put me into repair mode. I chose manual and it was checking three things. Now it has determined that the file NTDETECT.COM is not the original file that Setup copied to the W2K installation and is asking if I want to 1)skip, 2)repair or 3)repair all other files no originally installed with Windows 2000.

What now? I don't know what NTDETECT.COM is; could it be Norton? I have Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. Does this part go on to list everything that has been added?

15. Hardmarkerin

Chose the third Option
    NTDETECT.COM has got nothing to do with Norton or any other software, it is one of the files that is needed by OS during Boot

16. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

I chose option 3 and things got pretty exciting. I changed it back to boot from the hard drive and, after thinking about it for a long time, it actually came up. Then Windows started updating and AVG started updating and then there were error messages popping up. Norton showed up but indicates "disabled". (It forgets that I subscribe pretty frequently but always remembers my activation code - go figure).

Big picture, I seem to have lost Outlook, Word, Illustrator, etc. in Programs. Oddly enough, I can open Word with the shortcut on the toolbar and my files seem to be in there but there are random big black blocks on my letters that black out areas and then go away after a few minutes. So far, I can't open Outlook from anywhere. Error message for Outlook says: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook." I was running Office 2003 and it still shows but I can't get there . . . Outlook has all my email and contacts. Can you think of how I might get them back? Also, anything on the internet looks a LOT like it did in safe mode (really low resolution). I CAN still open pdf's that are saved on my desktop.

I have to be back here in a little over 6 hours, so I'm going to drag home and check from there. Thank you for your help! I'm going to leave it up and running; I'm afraid to reboot right now. The odd thing is that if Windows Update installed like crazy, it never asked me to reboot.

17. Hardmarkerin

Are you Sure you booted from CD and chose CHKDSK /R ?

18. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

On my system, F12 on the Dell screen takes you to network boot which briefly showed a black screen and then went straight into opening Windows2k. After trying this several times with the same results, I pressed F2 which took me to system boot. Then chose CD IDE, then rebooted, pressed R which took me to Repair mode. It "repaired" didn't solve the problems. After I got your email, I went back through and pressed C which took me to Recovery Console. Chose 1 and typed CHKDSK /R - and it went through the stuff. Bottom line, anything on the internet looks like "safe mode" (big dots and REALLY hard to read). I got Outlook and Word back after the Repair mode -- as long as I pushed the icon on the taskbar BUT whenever I start to type in either program, the screen turns black and I'm typing in black.

Since I've tried Repair and Recovery, should I just give up and upgrade to XP?

19. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

Is Windows XP Home Edition right?

20. Hardmarkerin

The Steps to reach recovery console on your Dell System Are

Put the Win 2k CD in the Top Optical Drive
    Restart System
    Press F12 at the Dell Logo
    Choose IDE CD Rom Device
    Hit Enter
    You will get a Message " Press Any Key to Boot from CD "
    You need to press any Key on the Keyboard
    It will give a Message " Setup is Loading Files "
    Then It will come to Screen " Welcome to Windows Setup "
    At that Screen you need to Press " R"
    it will ask " Which Operating system do you wish to Log on "
    Press the Number " 1 " Key
    Then it will ask you enter " Administrator Password "
    If you have set an admin password enter it, if not then you need to press enter
    then it will enter C: Documents & settings\
    At that prompt you need to type CHKDSK /R
    Then it will chk the Disk and repair files in 3 repeatations
    Then it will give the message CHKDSK /R Complete
    Then You need to type " Exit "
    Take the CD out
    Hit Enter
    System will reboot normally !

What you have done seems to be the second repair option available, That is not a good thing to do, since its almost similar to a Dirty Installation,
    Since you are now able to boot back into the Desktop, Back up all your data, and then go for a Clean Reinstallation of Windows 2000.

21. Bookbinder

Bookbinder Private E-2

Pressing F12 on my Dell Screen does absolutely nothing other than giving me a black screen very briefly; then it goes right on to open Windows. The only thing I could get to go was F2 . . .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds