cell phone compatibility regarding transfering minutes

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by alterintel, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Hello.
    My cell phone provider is tracfone. I want to get a better phone with audio and video,[it does not need to be a smart phone]; and would like to have my provider transfer my minutes to the new phone. One of their reps said they could do that, but I am uncertain as to the truth of that. I am considering a nokia, among others. I got my cell from tracfone, so it seems to me it is set to work with that phone, which is a samsung. So then can a service plan be used with any cell phone? I do not know much about any of this. I wasn't raised with these things, and feel I have done my bit just learning the computer.:-D

alterintel

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I dont know Tracfone as we do not have them in the UK. But to answer your questions, yes it should not be an issue to transfer your current cell number and minutes left to a new phone, common occurrence in the UK.

I had to transfer my cell number from one SIM which was a 3G one to a 4G SIM and was no issue, actually did it online and process was complete in less than an hour, but the shop you get a phone from should be able to do this for you.

I did check their website for Nokia models and none listed so if you are to want a Nokia and the Lumia 635s are good value, then you would have to get a SIM Free one, which is were the phone is not locked to any network, however really need to double check that a Tracfone SIM would work and you can transfer your call plan (this info HERE states yes with an Upgrade to another Tracfone), and have it in writing as while this is easy in general and really easy in the UK, I don't know how easy it would be in the USA.

So while it seems you can transfer your number and remaining call time to a new/upgrade Tracfone, there is no mention of using a phone that they do not sell, so check on that.

Hopefully some members here will jump in and fill any gaps I have left in for you.

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

DavidGP,
    Thanks for doing all this for me. I will call tracfone, don't always get good answers. I read somewhere that Nokia and some other brand had some kind of incompatibility with some other brands, including Samsung, which is what I have. I didn't understand it. Seems like there are many things to know about every little aspect of technological things, even cables, which you'd think would be simple, but aren't.
    alterintel

4. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

David gp,
    When you say I need to see if my proposed new phone is compatible with a tracfone sim card am not sure what is meant. Doesn't the sim card just identify you to your network? It doesn't affect the working of the phone does it? So would it be a matter of compatibility with tracfonetechnology, or a matter of what the company wants; ie to promote the phones that they sell?
    alterintel

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

Here is the link to see if other phones are compatible:
    http://tracfonewireless.com/byop/

Do you know anyone who has one of the Nokia phones you want? Maybe you could ask them to go through the procedure.

Otherwise, as David said, you should easily be able to call them and inquire.

I don't really understand what you are saying in regards to Nokia being incompatible with other brands of phones. I don't think that is relevant in regards to your provider. Either the individual phone is accepted by them or its not. Once you switch to your new phone, your old one will no longer work or be relevant anymore.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

There is no SIM card. Tracfone uses the CDMA network.
    Here's some info:
    http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/p/tracfone-byop-phone-list.html
    http://www.prepaidphoneguy.com/tracfone-bring-your-own-phone-overview-byop

Have you talked with a Tracfone rep about buying one of their newer phones and transferring your service to it?

My unsolicited opinion: Use up your current airtime and switch to Net10 or Straight Talk, which are Tracfone's sister companies. Their phone offerings are better and their BYOP programs are superior. You can have your number transferred to your new phone.

7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I have a tracphone flip style. When I take the battery out there is a micro sd size card underneath labeled sim. The phone is from 2008. If I put this in a newer tracphone it displays Invalid Sim. The old one has no camera.

StaightTalk - I've seen many in use by friends and they can play you-tube videos while I'm driving even in places with poor signals. 45 a month unlimited and I think 60 for international.

8. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Imandy man,
    So what I am taking away from your comment is that you have to get an ok from the network provider no matter what the technology is.

9. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Just playin,
    So I have a network that uses the CDMA technology. If I asked them to transfer my minutes to a phone that uses a different technology, which I think Nokia for one, does, could [not will they], but could they do that and somehow bridge the technical differences? That is kinda what I am getting at. Jeez, there is so much to know about everything nowdays.
    Alterintel

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi. Your minutes are tied to your account if they transfer. They don't have to do with the phone. So if they say they will transfer those minutes, it won't matter what brand or operating system (Android, Apple, Windows) it is or uses. The only thing that matters is if the phone is compatible with the tracfone service.

11. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Just Playin, Wish I could thank you ten more times for these most useful links.

Alterintel

12. Imandy Mann

I agree with several posts here regarding checking compatability and believing what the customer rep says about transfer. The sim part- if the phone is old it may not handle the capabilities of a new rig. I googled 'tracphone nokia' only one page of results. Some ads. Some reviews. Some images. I noticed in images most were the candy bar style with screen on top and keyboard on bottom. Very small view if you're looking for video.
    May be other models with 4" screens, I didn't go that far.

Since I have several tracphones I know the plans and phones are very affordable. Why not a whole new phone and keep the old one for a backup or maybe a family/friend who doesn't have any cell?

I caught my phones in a double minutes for life package. Good deal. I saw ad @ tracfone for triple=would be even sweeter.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  13. Imandy Mann

I saw a couple tracphones in a local Walmart this weekend. One with a 3.5" screen. Don't know if it has a camera or not. Will look again later. It also has 3X minutes for life.
    One was $39.99 LG . Will probably upgrade now that price is right and @3X $20 still last probably 3 months.

14. Imandy Mann

Hard to believe it's been 3 months and this thread is still in the top 10! Today I went ahead and got the $39 LG. Small and smooth touch screen. Swipes easy. Taps easy. Tried the sim thing and -No- it won't transfer. Says 'improper Sim'. Did the # transfer from a different phone; took about 2 minutes. Will see if everything transfers. I had service active till March 2015 and 50 minutes left. Now I have triple minutes. 99 bucks I could buy 1 year antenna active and 400 x 3 = 1200 minutes at my usage rate a year's worth. Averages $9 a month for touchscreen, camera and wifi.

15. Imandy Mann

Not a bump just an update. Tracphone transferred all my minutes and airtime and even gave me extra. Now my service is good till May 25 2015 and 60 minutes left. Took about an hour to transfer service. Same number. Just have to re-enter my short list of contacts to be done. Then load some mp3's ad video on the 4gb micro that came in the phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds