Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nickompoop, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

I have (or had, you'll see why in a moment) a laptop running Ubuntu 9.04. It was perfect. Any problem I had at the beginning was minor and easily fixed. Then came Ubuntu 9.10. I figured "Hey, I'll upgrade, why not?" Big mistake. When I upgraded and re-booted my computer, it would not boot. The exact error message was:
    Boot from (hd0,0) ext3 006ea508-35e7-45d0-8479-1768256a03bb
    Starting up....

So, seeing as this wouldn't work, I tried a clean install of 9.10. I made a bootable disk from the .iso image off the Ubuntu website, burning with ImgBurn. It worked fine. I stuck the CD in my laptop, and booted off it. Now, this is where it gets funky.
    The CD booted and showed the options of installing Ubuntu, running a demo, etc. I selected the Install Ubuntu option. My CD drive would hum, showing that it was indeed working, but all I would see on my screen was a blinking underscore line in the top left corner.

I have no idea what the hell's going on. Any help would be highly appreciated. At least tell me if this has happened to you or someone you know. I really want to use 9.10.

Thanks

2. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Did you make sure your 9.04 software was Up to Date in Update Manager before you installed 9.10?? I would try using the Update Manager to try and fix your problem. Go to Systems ~ Administration ~ Update Manager ~ Install Updates. This might help correct your install. Hope it works.

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Nickompoop, had the same problem with Mint. The live CD would run fine, but gave up the ghost when trying to install on step 7 :( Probably a fault with the .ISO If you have access to another PC try downloading Karmic again and burn the CD at the slowest speed.
    At one time I had a working Jaunty CD(Would install). Made a copy. The Copy would not install! Go figure.. Cheers...

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I run Ubuntu on a VM machine and found that 9.04 ran much better than 9.10.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

There's a story at The Register where %20 of installs went bad. I run it in a VM and like Bill have no issues.

6. Nickompoop

Nickompoop Private E-2

odiear3rd: remember, I can't boot to 9.04. i can't do what you suggested.
    i'll try re-burning at the slowest speed, see what happens

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Can you boot into live and then run this looking on the drive you are trying to boot? You may have to be sure your drive is mounted prior to seeing the files on it.

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds