wireless networking for PS3 without a PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janner66, Feb 22, 2012.

1. janner66

janner66 Private E-2

Hi
    Can someone tell me whether it is possible to go online using a PS3, a mobile broadband dongle, a router and an ethernet cable but no PC?
    I have searched the internet and can only find examples of setting up a wireless network using a PC. I wanted to know whether I could set up a network without a PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks.

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I don't know anything about a PS3 but if it has a browser in it I would think you could use that to secure your Router. Once the Router is setup and secured, you would not need a PC for anything else related to the PS3.

3. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

As shnerdly said, anything that has a web browser and an ethernet port will allow you to set up/configure your router. But I have several qualms about what you are trying to accomplish...
    1. I don't know of any way to connect a mobile broadband doggle to a router. All doggle's I've seen are USB, and the routers I've seen will not take a USB connection to the internet.
    2. Why would you want to run your PS3 off of a mobile broadband connection? Any online game is going to eat your data limit in a matter of a few minutes, and a typical netflix movie I think falls into the GB range. Not to mention the speed is going to be significantly slower than what you'll want.

If you had a PC, you could bridge the connection from the doggle to your ethernet port. That is the only way I can see to use the mobile broadband doggle with the PS3.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds