Audio Issues after XP reinstall (Inspiron 1300)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arlequin, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Arlequin

Arlequin Private E-2

Hey all,

First off, thanks for being here! The internet feels just a bit less isolated knowing you folks are around to help.

So my problem is that I did a reinstall of Windows XP home edition on a Dell Inspiron 1300 (without doing my homework first, didn't realise I needed to backup the drivers *slapwrist*). So, obviously, the computer I did it on forgot how to play nicely with all of its hardware. First thing I did was go to the Dell website and download the drivers they listed for the 1300 and was able to restore most of the functionality. At that point both the wireless adapter and the sound were still giving me troubles. I eventually found what I needed for the wireless but I am still pulling my hair out trying to get the sound to work.

When I try to install the R171788 Sigmatel audio driver files they have listed for the 1300 the setup program tells me 'This is not the correct audio driver for the system. The installer will now exit'. I've tried countless other 'fixes' I've found on the internet to no avail (hopefully without having messed up anything further). I've tried to uninstall anything I messed around with and now it ID's as the following:

Everest: 'Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]'

System info: 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus' (with a definitive '!' in front)

Device Instance ID: 'HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801C9&REV_1022\4&1D1AAA2D&0&0001

Pls halp! :cry
    (Everest report included)
    -M

Attached Files:

2. Arlequin

Arlequin Private E-2

I've tried uninstalling everything involved with the audio already, scoured both the add/remove listings and the device manager. Tried installing both (should I be uninstalling the chipset first? Am not sure which it is in the device listing and don't want to mess around with uninstalling things) but no luck! The chipset unzipped and installed with no apparent problems but the audio driver once again announced that 'This is not the correct audio driver for the system'.

Any other advice? Should I be prepping to re-reinstall windows?

3. Arlequin

Arlequin Private E-2

Just attempted to use the add hardware wizard to manually install the audio driver and it succeeded in installing but the sound still does not work and no audio device is listed in the sound section of the control panel. Device manager lists it as 'Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC' with a yellow '!' beside. Everest still detects it as 'Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]
    '.

4. Arlequin

Arlequin Private E-2

Long weekend break from dealing with work computer, check. Back to business, check ;p

Tried the hotfix, no change. Here's the report! Any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

5. ClassicGrag

ClassicGrag Private E-2

You may find the problem is with the latest drivers. I had a similar issue and use the previous version drivers in R122161 which was closest to the build date of my Dell.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds