Avast

Discussion in 'Software' started by jed64744, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jed64744

jed64744 Private E-2

How do I get Avant antivirus program out of my computer? I uninstalled it with revo uninstaller but it is still there. The update error window keeps popping up. The task bar has a circle with a red line through it. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Re: Avant

I am confused...are you talking about Avast anti-virus or Avant browser?

If Avast ant-virus, why did you not just disable it and use add/remove programs?

3. jed64744

jed64744 Private E-2

Sorry, It is Avast. I usually use Revo because it deletes any left over files. At any rate can you suggest a way to get it out of my computer? Thanks

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

The Avast FAQs suggest >Add/Remove and selecting Avast from the list then reboot.

I would however at least run a registry cleaner prog subsequent to the uninstall.

5. jed64744

jed64744 Private E-2

I have run a registry cleaner. I just ran a search and show the these files still in my system:
    _avast4_ C:\Document and settings
    Avast4 C:\Program Files\Alwil Software
    AvastSS C:\Windows\system32
    _avast4_ C:\Windows\Temp
    ashAvast C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4
    AVASTSS C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
    Avast4 C:\Program Files\Alvil Software\Avast4\
    avast4 C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
    Avast4 C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
    avast.int C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
    avast.int C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would be tempted as Revo didnt do a good job in this instance, to re-install Avast and then uninstall it via Add/Remove and not Revo, then run registry cleaner, check there are no left over Avast/AWIL folder in Program Files.

7. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

8. jed64744

jed64744 Private E-2

I tried to download and re-install Avast but the extraction window starts and then disappears. Tried twice but it will not install.

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Have you got another AV installed and running?? You will have to exit/disable that.

10. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Also - are you running any protection software that may prevent registry changes?

Examples
    Spybot S&D (Teatimer)
    Ad-aware Adwatch
    Spywareguard
    MS AntiSpyware Beta
    SpySweeper
    Winpatrol
    Counterspy

dr.m

11. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Perhaps an important point is shown here, Revo, although a nice uninstaller, should not be used in place of the add/remove programs function, but instead as a cleanup or alternate when add/remove fails. Its always best to let the programs own uninstaller do its thing and then afterwords try cleaning up behind it with Revo and or a registry cleaner. The add/remove programs list is actually just a link to the programs own uninstaller, put there during the install process. So it doesn't matter whether you go there or into the programs directory for its unistall.exe, they're the same thing.

12. jed64744

jed64744 Private E-2

I shut down all protection software and tried to re-install Avast. It wil not install. It does not appear on my list of programs or the control panel list. The task bar icon is still there with a circle with a line through it. When I do a search for Avast and try to delete the files I am denied access. Any suggestions how to get rid of theese Avast files?

13. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I think your best bet at this point is to go thru Avast support and let them tell you how to get rid of it. They will know exactly what services to stop, how to stop them and what registry entries you might have to delete to keep it from restarting. It seems its trying to protect itself as if a virus, not you, were trying to disable or delete it.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds