16:9 widescreen format V.S. 4:3 format - monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bocaj, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bocaj

bocaj Private First Class

I use my monitor only for the computer, not much for viewing movies, that's what widescreen TVs are for.
    But they have a pretty sweet deal on a 19" Samsung near me, and I currently have a real kick ass Dell 19" 4:3.

With the widescreen, I'd be losing some height, and not gaining much in width (WHEN, viewing websites, as they're all designed for 4:3 ratios).
    What do you guys think?

Pops, needs a new monitor, he wants a 4:3 type, and I'm considering giving him mine and paying the difference on the new 16:9.

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

you can do what you want, but i would stick with the 4:3. if you like the whole widescreen scene then go with the samsung. I just personally like the 4:3 ratio better.

3. Lloyd1337

Lloyd1337 Private E-2

Upgrading from a 17" 4:3 to 19" 16:10 = good

Upgrading from a 19" 4:3 to 19" 16:10 = bad

You'd want to go up to at least a 20". And I'm assuming you mean 16:10, because most computer monitors are 16:10.

I went from a 17" 4:3 CRT to a 21" 16:10 and I couldn't be happier, because it is much bigger. But for you, the results could be less than impressive.

And I personally think widescreen is better for gaming and watching movies, and you can fit 2 web browser windows side by side. =p

For comparison:
    [​IMG]

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"WHEN, viewing websites, as they're all designed for 4:3 ratios"

That's not necessarily true... Majorgeeks, for example, will fit to the width of your screen. There are many websites that will not do that, but I would imagine as widescreen monitors grow in popularity, they all eventually will.

I went from a 17" 4:3 monitor to a 20" 16:10 and for gaming, I absolutely love it. (which is what I use my computer for mostly) For word processing, web surfing, etc. I don't know that I would recommend it. It really just depends on what programs you use most.

If you pay attention to the deals on www.slickdeals.net or www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm you'll be able to pick up the Dell 20" widescreen for under $400. I don't know how that compares to your 19" monitor, but to me, it was worth it.

5. Lloyd1337

Lloyd1337 Private E-2

I've had no problems with viewing websites in widescreen either. And gaming works well, too.

This comparison graph also has 19" WS on it.
    [​IMG]

6. bocaj

bocaj Private First Class

Majorgeeks is the minority as the majority and most of the other sites online are still in 4:3 and will be for awhile I'm sure.
    When the 24"'s come down in price, that's when I'll grab one, till then...4:3 for me (since I surf and game a couple of games) and WS isn't that important for either of those purposes at the moment.
    But you're happy, I'm happy, that's what counts. :)

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Guys, this thread is from 2006!
    I suspect the original poster solved the problem a few years ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds