how to overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theven 4, Aug 15, 2005.

1. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

hi
    First i have a dell pentium 4 ht@3ghz. 512 mb pc2700 ram and an Nvidia GeForce 5900 se/xt. The thing i want to ask is why when i try to overclock it says 2D and 3D so which should i overclock and why the heck it has 2D and 3D. thanks :)

2. theven 4

I'll be out till 4:30 so i won't be able to reply

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

2D = the desktop surfing the web ETC..... 3D = games, and other 3D apps...Youl whanna overclock the 3D thare is no point to OC the 2D ( inless you whanna scroll a hair faster when your surfing [​IMG] )

4. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Pretty much Ace covered it. Although you can download something called Coolbits 2.0 Which makes it a whole lot easier to overclock your video card!

Its availible here http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=815&file=7&evp=bd3e23e42324cda2524b86ca2d571660 just scroll down and click "I Agree"

If/When you download it, youll want to follow these steps :

1. Right-Click desktop and select Properties
    2. Click the Settings tab on top
    3. Click the Advanced button in the bottom right area
    4. Click the GeForce FX 5900 tab on the top right area
    --A little window will pop up to the left, this is normal--
    5. In the little window that popped up click Clock Frequency Settings
    6. Selelct the Manual overclocking option and choose Performance 3d as your settings option
    7. Report back your stock Core Clock frequency and Memory clock frequency.
    8. After you tell us what your stock settings are, you may begin increasing both core and memory clock by incriments of 5ish MHz.

5. theven 4

Thanks Ace and sleepygamer for the info the core is 390 and the memory is 700. Thanks for all the help again.

6. sleepygamer213

yea you should be able to oc that, seeing as youve got good cooling.

7. theven 4

about that i don't know how to find the cpu temperature i have downloaded MBM 5 and everest and they just tell my gpu core temperature and gpu ambient if you know how to find cpu temperature please tell me.

8. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I donno about video card temps.. I know that some cards have temp sensors but i donno what software will read it .. I always read video card temps the old fashioned way ..reach in and feel it [​IMG] if it to hot to keep you hand on comfertably its way to hot....

9. sleepygamer213

I dont know why it wouldnt be showing up... Interesting... Your CPU temps should be around 50C idle and 60C load if youve got stock cooling and OK case cooling.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds