avira not updating

Discussion in 'Software' started by avilo4u, May 16, 2009.

1. avilo4u

avilo4u Private First Class

Hi all,

A few days ago my Avira Antivir stopped updating. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the new version but everytime i try to update the following message comes up:

'An error occurred during the file download'

Should i just uninstall it and just use Avast? or is there a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed?

I have scanned my pc with Avira, and a have all the major geeks recommended software etc, ie PC tools firewall, comodo Boclean, Spybot...etc

Thanks for any help

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Would you be willing to try another anti-virus, maybe AVG? I prefer it myself. Otherwise, try to update it in safe mode by rebooting your computer and tapping F8 until a screen comes up offering you choices. Select safe mode with networking and when it boots, try to start Avira and update it.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The one time I had that problem, it turned out that Avira was not recognized as a trusted program by my firewall. Check the configuration to ensure that Avira update is allowed.

4. avilo4u

Tried both suggestion but didnt work.

Uninstalled Avira and downloaded Avast, now that is not updating either.

While it is trying to update it says 'Error:HTTP server returned error 501'

Then it says : 'Cannot connect to download694.avast.com (174.133.38.34:80)'

Then at the end it says: 'Information about current update:
    Last encountered error: Cannot connect to a739sl.avast.com (208.43.71.136:80)'.

Went into PC Tools Firewall plus and allowed everything from Avast and still not updating. Should i get a new firewall?

5. avilo4u

I tried the following which was suggested on the avast support center and it worked, it is now updating. Is it ok to do this??? Will it change anything else?

Also there is 25mb of updating, shouldnt it be smaller than this?

Start Internet Explorer.
    Select Tools -> Internet Options... from the main menu.
    Switch to page Connections.
    Click on the LAN Settings... button.
    Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN
    Write localhost into the Address field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
    Enter 12080 into the Port field.
    Confirm with OK button.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I never said to download Avast.

7. avilo4u

Yeah i know, i just thought id try one of the other suggested/recommended anti viruses. Thought it might have been a AntiVir problem

Is it ok to change the LAN settings? as described in last thread?

8. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

MA is taking care of site business, so I will try to answer.

Problem is that some with your Avira issue had malware and the reason for the update not working, so by going off on your own you still have not fixed the problem you just added more factors by using a workaround.

12080 is used by Webshield in Avast but I don't open that port in Comodo, one more thing to watch IMO. I keep open ports to a min. most likely your firewall was blocking the port.

Try this, download Malwarebytes and Upade it, then run it, see if it finds anything.

Malwarebytes:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Let us know what the results are and what your OS and SP if you continue to have issues.

(my preferences to open ports, are that mine) if you want them open that's up to you.

9. avilo4u

Thanks for your reply Cat_W_9lives. Before i saw your reply i ran Avast scanner again and it found the following:

Win32:Daonol-P Trojan in C:\WINDOWS\OHUIC.AAV (from march 2009) which i deleted. Everything seems to be working fine after that. I changed the internet explorer LAN settings back to 'automatically detect settings' and Avast updates normally. Antivir did not find this virus before.

After seeing your post i also ran malwarebytes anti malware and it found the following:

Registry Data Items Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Which i deleted.

Should i do anything else.

10. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Hi Avilo4u,

As posted by DomLuc, you should go and complete the Read and Run Me in Malware now, post your logs for an expert to review; malware is sneaky and if it were me I would have them take a look. I had a suspicion malware was your issue but other things could also have caused your original issue, wasn't sure till now.

Good Luck,

Cat

11. Jaded001

Jaded001 Private E-2

I found the same thing happening. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling several times. I also sent Avira several emails, to which they responded, that since I was using the free version they weren't even going to consider my emails. I feel that their software was a fault and they did nothing to even determine if the issue was mine or theirs, even though I sent them all the pertinent files. Instead I just removed it and installed AVG. I will not ever try Avira products again.

12. Jaded001

Jaded001 Private E-2

The problem I had was with the new version of Avira. I had installed it and it was updating fine until May 7 and then it just stopped. I went through all the steps on the websites regarding help etc. As you say it is the free version and it is unsupported. But I feel that when they issue a new version they should allow for the possibility that the new version has a bug.

I ran the the old software with the updating issue for about two weeks (while doing several uninstalls, new downloads, new installations, etc). I then gave up on Avira and uninstalled the program and installed AVG. AVG found malware. I do not know when the malware became resisdent on my computer (ie. whether it caused the issue or infected my computer due to lack of updates). However the fact that I was able to install AVG and have it fix the problem speaks volumes to me. I have previously used AVG for years and will remain with them.

13. Jaded001

Jaded001 Private E-2

Thank you. I will check out this guide.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds