Vista "Windows explorer has stopped working" error

Discussion in 'Software' started by bsnodin, Oct 18, 2008.

1. bsnodin

bsnodin Private E-2

When I right click on certain shortcuts or programs, I get the following error message:

"Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." and then "Windows explorer is restarting"

It only seems to happen to recently installed/created programs.

(this has been happening for about a month)

Also when I was using a compiler called Dev-C++ it gave me an error message "out of memory" after about 20 minutes, so that I had to close it using task manager.

Specs:
    Dell Laptop inspiron 6400
    windows vista 32-bit
    2GB memory
    20GB free disk
    2*1.73GHz CPU

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Do you get the error if you start program from the start menu or just your desktop? Have you tried deleting the shortcuts and making new ones?

3. bsnodin

bsnodin Private E-2

Generally it doesn't happen from the start bar, but there are some programs for which it does, whether I use a shortcut or the start bar. Also it happens to newly downloaded programs, however I try and open them.

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

If you haven't done any registry edits, tweaked your PC or have Digital Vault installed you should check your PC for malware (virus/spyware).

Do the READ & RUN ME here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Follow all steps in the order given and attach the requested logs to your post. If malware forum determines PC is clean they will send you back here for help.

5. bsnodin

bsnodin Private E-2

Thanks very much for your quick reply. Before I read it however, I had already solved the problem. It turns out that it was caused by a 3rd party shell extension. I was pointed to this excellent webpage:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html

which described how to view and disable shell extensions (and also has advice for what to do if shell extensions aren't the problem). I found that the offending shell extension was "CmdLineContextMenu Class," described as a "SecuROM context menu for Explorer". I've heard bad things about SecuROM before, and now I guess I've seen it first hand! Still I'm glad the solution was as simple as this, assuming there won't be any consequences for disabling this shell extension.

I haven't seen a repeat of the issue with DevC++, I guess it was a one-off thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds