Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Feb 25, 2005.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Sometimes when I boot up my pc, I get the desktop message that the process encountered a problem and needs to close. Computer functionality doesn't seem to be affected however. But I have noticed that the event viewer in administrative tools reveals that the application error occured immediately after the last shutdown, and again at the time of booting up. I simply click "Don't Send"...(regarding error reporting), and continue on to use the pc. Is this something to be concerned about or not. Could it have anything to do with firewall settings allowing or blocking any particular Win system applications to the internet?....Thanks for reading my post. My pc is clean with respect to viruses, spyware, etc.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks, but I don't think this directly relates to my symptom. Plus I do not use a printer with my system. Nor is there any flashlight icon activity as described in that information link. There is no error signature information relating to module name and version.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can narrow it down via msconfig.exe
    Its an MS service crashing. Disable all of em (except plug ang play and system restore), then re-enable them a few at a time to narrow it down.

5. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks for replying. I can probably troubleshoot your suggestion...but please advise how to begin with msconfig.exe and disabling and I'll try to take it from there.

6. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

The GHP (svchost.exe), is a service that accesses the internet for another app. It could be a legit program trying to update,... or it could be just about anything really. Your going to have to investigate to find out. I suggest using Process Explorer by Sysinternals, (highlight the service and it will show you all dependancies in the bottom pane). Good luck!

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not necessarily.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Start, run, msconfig.

There is a services tab. Some cannot be disabled.

Make sure you leave the ones I mentioned running as well.

9. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

ok, and thanks...I'll look into all this over the weekend and see if I can isolate the possible cause.

10. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

You know?!...I'm beginning to 'enjoy' problem solving issues almost as much as my regular computing. I guess I can answer "yes"...to that heady question "Got Geek"? :D

11. tux2460

tux2460 Private First Class

A customer that had their computer in here to be repaired, was having some connection issues with thier DSL connection, so they switched to a Cable internet connection. I got a call as the tech was trying to install it, and they were having an issue with the company could see the computer but the computer couldn't see out. He had to reboot and he read me an error message, which is close to the one in this thread. So would the printer be causing a problem with the network connection? or would going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, right-click on service, select properties, then recovery tab. and setting it to restart services be possible solutions?

One of the lines he read off to me was svchost.exe in local settings/temp so that has me confused.

Thank you for any help and your time.

12. wwalker555

wwalker555 Corporal

I have been getting what seems to be the exact problem "tritonobx" is reporting since installing SP2 in mid-Feb. Did he just give up or is there an answer to this problem? Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds