Problem with Internet Access & Norton Internet Security

Discussion in 'Software' started by wheezer, May 4, 2007.

1. wheezer

wheezer Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension E310, with Windows XP Media Center, and I use Internet Explorer 7. I am unable to access both www.microsoft.com and www.symantec.com but all other webpages I have tried work fine. For both sites, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." When I choose detect connection problem, I get "Windows did not detect and problem with your Internet connection over HTTP and HTTPS but it was not able to make a successful connection over FTP. I have already placed both sites in my trusted zone, but I still cannot access either one of them.

I am also having a problem with Norton Internet Security. Each time I try to run Live Updates, I get the following error: LU1814 Live Update could not open the update list. The only thing I have done recently is to use the Dell PCTune Up.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. wheezer

wheezer Private E-2

That did not solve the problem. I was able to download and install the Live Updates, but the problem persists. When I click on "what if this did not work?" I get the same IE cannot display the web page that I get when I try to access www.symantec.com or www.microsoft.com

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

5. wheezer

wheezer Private E-2

I use Norton Internet Security 2007. I turned off ad blocking, but can not seem to find anything about pop up blocking. I can access the link you posted, but not www.symantec.com. Deleting the cookies and history did not solve the problem.

6. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Try going to Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced, under Browsing see if you have Use Passive FTP checked. Just a thought...

7. wheezer

wheezer Private E-2

Yes, it is checked.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab and click on Reset… button.

Steve

9. wheezer

wheezer Private E-2

I already tried that, and it didn't solve the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds