new malwarebytes anti-malware won't work with my computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Jul 14, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Private E-2

Hello All.
    Some years ago I bought Malwarebytes Anti-Malware pro. Loved it, worked fine, kept it updated. My version appears in red color onscreen I will give it the tech name of "the red version". A message appeared when I went to update telling me how much better and wonderful their newest version was and that I should update. The new version was blue colored so I shall call it by the technical name of the 'new blue version". Hesitating at first, I finally did download it. And it was free to me as I had paid for my old version. There were problems downloading, but it got done. Worked the second time. Ran a whambang scan that said my old computer is free of all illness. When I went to run a scan online, it kept giving an error message saying it had to close, did I want to send the error message to microsoft and I did so several times. After sending the error message the program disappeared. I tried over and over to run the program online, and the same thing happened. When it downloaded it took away my old red version. I uninstalled the new blue version, and went to system restore to try to get my red ver. back. It came back but got a message saying it could not be found. Nor could I access it any other way. I undid the restoration, and I hope nothing but two empty folders of the red version are left. Cannot find any old versions that will download from their site. They have the historic versions, but no way to download them. I am screwed. What can I do. I'm now as vulnerable as a Mercedes in a bad neigborhood. And I can't afford to be off the net, but am afraid to be on it anymore than necessary. And I want to stay with malwarebytes even tho I don't like this situation.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

What was the version number of the "Red" and what is the version number of the "Blue". There have been people who've posted at MG's reporting problems with the new version of MBAM.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

5. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rusty Savage,
    I did that yesterday, first thing. They are the recipients of 4 or 5 detailed and desperate messages from me. There is a sign on their site saying that due to an unusually high volume of help requests it was taking longer than usual to get back to people. They don't give out a phone number.

6. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr,
    That is how mine looked, but it updated. I updated it every few days and had updated it successfully on the day I then decided to download the new thing. So my version was updateable.[I think I made a new but good word there.] You get a message saying you are updated and what the new update version is, but I don't remember the string of numbers.

Maybe the free isn't able to be updated as much? Mine was a paid for version.

7. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Mdonah, I updated my version every few days, don't know what it was. The new program was colored blue, the old one that I had looked like the one Plodr has up. I think the blue one was 2.0.2.1012. Wouldn't swear to it, but pretty sure. It won't scan online, does scan offline. [lol]

8. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr, is their a way of telling if this older program can be updated short of downloading it and trying to? My poor computer has undergone too many downloads and subsequent uninstalls since this all happened.

9. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Here is an update to the situation that may be of help to someone else, and also I am now infected.

I went to the website Plodr indicated and downloaded Malwarebytes version
    1.62.0.1300. Most all of their versions do update. I downloaded it and then updated it from fingerprints[the threat data] v.2012.07.03.05 to v 2014.07.15.10., which took me to where I was before all this, and where I wanted to be. Caution; when downloading this [red] program, it tries to 'trick' you in several ways into downloading the new one, the blue one. It had a checked option that you would try it, whichi I unchecked. Then when I was updating it tried to download the new program instead, I clicked cancel, and then it went to the regular update. Then, each time I try to open MB I get a message sayin:"the latest version of Malwarebytes has been downloaded. MB will now close and install it." I then click on cancel and my red program comes on, but I have to do this everytime.
    This brings this company way down in my estimation.

I ran an online 'quick' scan and itworked okay. But it found one infection:
    Spyware.Zbot -file- item: C:\WINDOWS\system32\OLD.6.tmp
    I clicked delete and was told to restart computer to get rid of it and did so.
    Then I ran an offline complete scan, took almost an hour. It found 1 infection that looked like the same one almost:
    Spyware.Zbot - file- item- C:\System Volume Information\restore{D3E4
    I restarted, ran a third scan. It reappeared as :
    Spyware.Zbot.V... 7/15/2014,6:52pm- file- Item- C:\System volume information\_restore{D3E 48A53-9EC6-4

So this is where I am now. With this thing that reappears still on my computer. I am not sure if I should keep the malawarebytes program I downloaded; I need to get rid of the constant prompts to download the new one. The new program they keep wanting to install had to have been downloaded with the fingerprints file as that version doesn't show up in 'search'. And I need to get the infection removed. I know that I do not have the ability to use your malware removal, and am willing to have someone from your paid section do that.
    If members could help me with all of this I would very much appreciate it.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  10. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

update to my situation

My last post described what is currently my situation. I posted that in the am. that hasn't changed, but I thought someone from Malwarebytes would have gotten back to me regarding my pleas for help yesterday. I still haven't heard so I am hoping someone on the forum will help me .
    alterintel

11. rustysavage

It appears that MBAM got rid of the Zbot trojan, but not until after you incorporated it into a restore point. The System Volume Information folder is a protected directory where your system stores restore points. On a past Windows 7 installation I removed the protection from that folder to get direct access to the backups, but I wouldn't recommend doing that and I don't off the bat remember how I did it. If the above date/time is when the restore point was created you could use a third-party app to delete only that restore point, but I'm guessing that it's the time of the MBAM scan, in which case it doesn't help you in isolating the infected restore point. As long as the malware is only part of a backup, rather than loose on your system, it can't do any harm. Eventually, that infected restore point will automatically get deleted as you create newer ones.

To make sure that the rest of your system is clean, you should scan with a dedicated antivirus scanner (please tell me that you're already using one) and perhaps some other anti-malware apps as well. Here's a couple of suggestions for freeware anti-malware from this site:

IObit Malware Fighter: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_malware_fighter.html (very popular but haven't used it myself)
    SUPERAntiSpyware: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/superantispyware_free.html
    Hitman Pro: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hitman_pro.html (free malware removal for one month)

Oh, and here's some info on the Zbot trojan: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-011016-3514-99

12. plodr

MBAM is probably trying to end support for a program that is 1 1/2 years out of date. I can't blame them for that.

You did not look over your settings in the "red" program". Prior to the latest version, you could uncheck/untick something to not update. I have 5 Pro licenses for MBAM and all the computers in the house that ran the Pro version had it set this way. Only one computer, my husband's XP was running the 1.75 version because every time I attempted to install v 2, his computer slowed down drastically.
    At the very least you should be running v 1.75 which is from 2014 and not a 2012 program.
    I've since wiped MBAM from his computer because I've pulled XP off the internet. He has a Win 7 netbook and desktop to go on the internet safely.

As far as the oldversion site, I have all ads blocked so I do not see the same page you see. I simply clicked the download link I saw and a 10MB file which was the exe for 1.75 downloaded. I generally test download links before I post to be sure they work. No point in posting something that is impossible to get.

You really should consider installing ABP (ad block plus) on Firefox. It will clean up the page for you, so you don't see the clickable links you are not at all interested in.

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

I had the free MBAM v 1.75 and tried the new free MBAM 2 version. Didn't like it and installed 1.75 again. Then just like you it downloaded the new 2 version every time I opened MBAM. Solution was to go into MBAM 1.75 version, go to Settings, Updater Settings and untick the 1st 2 boxes. Now MBAM is not pestering me anymore with their new 2 version. According to what I read that MBAM 1.75 will support updates for a year until March 2015 thus for 1 year after the new 2 version came out in March 2014.

Hope that the above helps you a bit until you get an answer from MBAM.

14. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

"

No, Rusty Savage, I am afraid I only scanned with mbam. I don't even know what a dedicated anti-virus scanner is. But I will download one of the ones you suggested and run a scan. Any preference as to which I should download?
    Thank you so much.
    alterintell

15. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr, I do have ad bloc+. mbam v175 is their new blue program that doesn't run on my computer.
    I appreciate your help.
    Alterintel

16. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Oma,
    Thank you for this helpful post. And thank you for giving me the steps in an easy to understand way. I like this sight, but I am not technical and sometimes things are way over my head. So I appreciate this.
    Alterintel

17. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rustysavage,
    I went to download the 10bit fighter but it was 25mb. My computer is already overloaded. I will try one of the other two.
    Alterintel

18. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rusty savage, so sorry to bother you again. How do I tell if I have xp 32 bit or 64? System information doesn't tell me that. Hitman Pro gives both options so I don't know which to choose.
    Alterintel

19. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Nevermind, Rustysavage. I found out; I am running 32 bit.

20. rustysavage

First things first. Rather than downloading another on-demand anti-malware app right now you need to get yourself a memory resident (real time) virus scanner pronto. The difference between antimalware and antivirus apps is fuzzy and often debated. Suffice it to say that you should be running one real time antivirus scanner and one antimalware scanner (on demand or real time). MBAM, in it's unregistered state, is an on demand scanner, which is a scanner that runs only when you manually launch it. It scans your system and then shuts down until the next time you invoke it. The registered version of MBAM is a real time scanner that runs all the time, constantly scanning for malware in memory (in addition to doing scheduled on demand system scans).

If you look in the upper right hand corner of the browser window when you're on the MajorGeeks download site you'll see a list of software categories. There's one for antimalware and one for antivirus. Look through the antivirus category to get an idea of what's available to you. I realize that it can be overwhelming to choose from the list so I'll give you a couple of suggestions for freeware antivirus apps that many people on this forum use and rave about.

Avast Antivirus: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/avast_free_edition.html

Avira Antivirus: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/avira_free_antivirus.html

Install one of these and scan your system to make sure you got rid of the aforementioned trojan. Once installed, either of these scanners will remain running in memory, protecting you from malware 24/7. You can then augment that protection by regularly running MBAM scans.

21. rustysavage

That's not good news. Any decent antiviral scanner is going to be a download of around 100 MBs, and more once it's installed with updated antiviral definitions. Do what you have to do to make room for a full fledged antivirus scanner. It's just plain crazy to be connected to the internet without using one.

As far as the previous antimalware app suggestions that I made, you would in the long run be better served by SUPERAntispyware which will never stop cleaning up infections that it finds. Hitman Pro is a very good scanner that will allegedly catch some infections that other on demand scanners miss. Regardless, you can scan with it anytime without expiration, but it will only clean up infections for one month after you first run it.

I use the registered version of MBAM (fortunately no problems with the new version) in addition to the registered version of SUPERAntispyware (not that I need both but I couldn't resist buying the latter app when the company offered it to me for $9).

22. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Update to my situation by alterintel

Hi Everyone and thanks for the assistance. There are still serious problems and after 4 days of submitting tickets to Malwarebytes as a licensed user, still no reply. This has had a real bad effect on the work I need to do as I am not secure on the net so I cannot work on it.

I have run scans with two of the anti-spyware programs that Rusty suggested, and with mbam, and they came up clean. The old mbam red program I was able to download from 'old apps' isn't working properly. I again downloaded the new it kept telling me to, the 'blue' one, v2.0.2; and have the same problem with it as I did previously; that is, it scans offline, but not online. Again, as before, once I try to scan while online it immediately closes and I get one of those messages saying "it had encountered a problem and has to close. Do I want to send a message to microsoft about this?" And I usually did that.
    Since neither mbam program is working, and I am getting no help from MB, I am thinking I should uninstall and get something else. MB was my only protection for years, and I never had a problem. Now I have to get back to what I was doing, but am afraid to be on the net.
    So can someone suggest programs that could give me the same full protection as mbam.
    Thank you,
    Alterintel

23. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Situation worsens. Now mbam closes online even when I am not trying to scan.

I had the registered version of mbam till the new mbam download took it away and replaced it with the new but still registered version. But I had to uninstall that so now I don't have any registered versions till I get some help from their site to get them back.
    Meanwhile I overlooked one of Rusty's posts telling about real time protection which I had from mbam . I am now of the understanding that I need an antivirus and an antimalware? Did MBAM not do both? Is there some program that gives both with real time protection? I want to uninstall mbam as it isn't working. Would an 'all in one antimalware suite' give me both?
    alterintel

24. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

When asking for help with choosing a program that gives real time protection and is anti-viral and anti-malware as Rusty Savage suggested, I should mention that my computer only has 37.3 GB of memory, of which only 25.5 GB is available as rest has been used.
    I would like to have just one all around program like MBAM was before it stopped functioning. It doesn't have to be freeware, but affordable. Any help with finding such much appreciated.
    Also, in addition to other mentioned problems with the new, improved mbam, it now doesn't update, it closes instead, tho it constantly nags to update. Still no word back from the company after 4 days, and I am a licensed user who purchased my program. Does anyone here have any information as to what is going on, if others are having the same problems, or if it is unique to my computer. If my computer, could someone give a clue as to what the problem could be?
    Respectfully,
    Alterintel

25. rustysavage

Re: Update to my situation by alterintel

There are plenty of sites that provide the results of head to head comparisons of bone-fide antiviral programs but I've never seen a legitimate comparison of programs that are marketed as being antimalware apps, so I could only guess at what program would provide protection equivalent to MBAM. What I can tell you is that you were very lucky not to have gotten infected when you used MBAM alone for several years. Antimalware apps use malware definitions that number in the thousands, while most popular antiviral apps draw on databases containing millions of viral footprints. Some antivirus programs may deliver malware protection that equals MBAM's but there's no way that any antimalware app can deliver the overall protection of a legitimate antivirus app.

For several years I've been running Norton 360 (antivirus) alongside a registered (real-time) version of MBAM. Norton has missed some of the stuff that MBAM picked up (although these items were "lesser" threats like adware, PUPs, tracking cookies, etc.) while Norton has picked up many verified viruses that MBAM totally missed. If I had to run only one of them, I would without a doubt choose Norton antivirus (or any decent antivirus app).

With that in mind, I would again suggest that you procure an antivirus program and forget about MBAM for now. You can deal with Malwarebyte's crappy support once you've got some decent protection up and running. I realize that you have a disk space problem and that even 25 MBs is a lot for you to commit to viral/malware protection. At the risk of upsetting you, I'll give you my humble advice; Unless you want to surf "bareback" (as you have essentially done for the last few years) then you're going to have to either delete some stuff on your drive or purchase a larger/additional drive. Any decent antiviral app that you choose, be it Norton, BitDefender, Avast, avira, Kaspersky, whatever.... you're going to need several hundred MBs of disk space once the program is fully installed and up to date on viral definitions. There's just no getting around that.:cry

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  26. rustysavage

Do you mean 37.3 GB of disk space rather than memory? In any case, spending several hundred MBs of the remaining 25+ GBs on a good antivirus app would IMHO be space well spent. BTW, have you tried to fully uninstall MBAM using an app like Revo Uninstaller (freeware), and then doing a clean install of the new version?

Revo Uninstaller: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/revo_uninstaller.html

27. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rusty,
    Sorry, I meant space, not memory. I uninstalled the new mbam and it showed nothing left except a few mui thingys in the register which Ccleaner got rid of. I have done this twice. MBAM isn't working with my computer. The first uninstall was of the paid version as my license is current.

I am looking at what to install that will give me the most effectiveness at the lowest memory cost. What they don't say often is whether they give the 'real time' protection you told me about. Does I0 bit malwarefighter give real time protection? What do you think of Kapersky for me? Are their terms to look for that tell me whether they have the always on real time protection?
    Alterintel

28. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

I just researched bit defender, really liked what they said about it being light but a killer, then went to download and found it wasn't light at all. Looked at Norton but am afraid of something going to embed itself deep in my aged system, especially as I have no skills to deal with that should there be problems. I really know nothing.
    I am now of the understanding from your last post that I would get more protection from an anti-virus than from anti-malware, tho you would like people to have both. If this isn't correct, would appreciate your letting me know.
    I adore this old computer. I have another new one I got half a year ago that sits in its box, unpacked. I am trying for months to move, can't find anything that isn't polluted, infested with crime, or ridiculously overpriced. Don't want to unpack the new one till I am moved as Dell packed it right and don't want to risk it. And again, love the old one with xp pro. The new one has 7; they tried to give me 8 and I told them they'd best not. So I want to do the best protection I can for the old one.
    How do I research further whether they have real time protection, and what their actual size is on the disk. So many places just rave, then don't tell if it is real time protection, or the real size on the disk.
    Thanks,
    Alterintel

29. mdonah

As rustysavage said, you're going to need more space on your hard drive to run anything we may suggest. 500 GB external USB connected drives can be had for less than $50. Transferring your data files to one such drive will free up the needed space to run a program we can suggest.

On my XP drive, I've run Comodo Internet Security (A/V & Firewall) which occupies 205 MB NOT including signature/definition updates. It got a 97/100 rating in the test review I read and was the highest ranked security suite. Over time, it has steadily improved.

Another security suite I've run on my XP drive is Qihu's 360 Internet Security. It occupies 105 MB NOT including signature/definition updates. This was the ONLY suite that prevented all 54 exploits that target Win XP exclusively from getting on to my computer.

Both suites offer real-time protection and were freeware.

30. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

mdonah,
    Thank you for these suggestions. I have never used or seen an external hard drive. I would be open to it. But I wonder if loading anti-malware programs of this size on to my old computer, even with more free space, wouldn't overtax it in other ways.

From what I can gather from the error message I am receiving when mbam closes, there is some kind of incompatibility. That is just what I gather, which is info from someone technically challenged. I tried to copy and paste it but it won't do that. I am just going to try and do the best I can for my old computer; may have to move on to my new one but would rather not at this time.

31. rustysavage

Bit Defender is a great app that has been doing really well in testing against other antivirus apps, but it's anything but light. I was on their site earlier today with thoughts of dropping Norton and going with one of BitDefender's antivirus/internet security suites. I realized that I'm using Norton not because it's all that good but only because it's provided to me free by my ISP (which is a lousy reason for not going with something that's been empirically proven to be much better). In any case the download size of the compressed app was over 350 MBs.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you.

You're preaching to the choir there, friend. I live just outside of Flint, Michigan, the per-capita murder capital of the USA three years running.

I don't think you need to worry about affecting the protection provided by current day computer shipping containers. With all the molded Styrofoam, everything fits back together like a jig-saw puzzle. After too many years I too left Win XP begrudgingly and took up Win 7 about one year ago. I still miss XP but 7 is a very decent OS and I've even grown to like it. With Microsoft giving up XP support within a year, you're going to have to take the plunge sooner rather than later. You don't want to go on using XP without the ongoing security vulnerability patches (not if you're going to be on the internet with it).

Ascertaining the post-install updated disk usage of an antivirus app is tough but it's going to be at least twice the size of the installation files. I really don't think that you'll find any real-time scanner that takes up less than 150 MBs of disk space. Rather than trying to find a legitimate antivirus app to squeeze onto your system, I'd do as mdonah suggests and scrape together $50 for a HD that's 10 times the size of the one you're using now. Or... go ahead and unpack that box.;)

When researching antivirus apps, it's pretty unusual to come across a product description of a real-time scanner that doesn't tout the product as being a real-time scanner. They might refer to it as "memory resident" or "always on guard" or something to that effect. The scanners that do not scan in real time (called "on demand" scanners) are usually explicitly advertised as being on demand scanners. If you're unsure about a scanner in this regard, just ask about it in this forum (preferably in this same thread) and I'll take a look at it. Or shoot me a personal message (just right click on my username and pick "send private message" from the list).

32. rustysavage

Hey alterintel, I neglected to give you any specific recommendations for applications to protect yourself in the absence of MBAM. Here's a link to a page where the author does a far better job of it than I could ever do; a devotional work that's been ten years in the making.

How to Protect Yourself from Malware by Chasling

33. mdonah

Alterintel only has 34 posts and the forum requires 50 to be able to send or reply to Private Messages. Speaking of, did you get/read my reply to yours about my Avatar and "promotion"?

34. plodr

You must be running a version of Windows older than XP because I was running v. 1.75 on both XP computers in the house and the oldest is a Dell Dimension 2400 from 2004.

35. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Thanks so much, all of you who responded.:wave I am short of time this am and it will take time to really digest all of this very good information, esp. as I am not technical. Really a wealth of info that I would need to pay someone for, and probably not get as good or as much.

I will probably need an external hard drive so I will study up on that. Still tho, even with enough space will running those mega anti-malware/anti-virus programs be good for my old computer? Or would they overtax it in other ways?

I downloaded one of the suggested anti-viral programs last night, ran a scan which came up clean. I called the company just now and was amazed by what the support guy told me. I had called to ask if their program, billed as anti-viral, also protected against malware, and he said yes. In the course of conversation I mentioned that my computer had contracted zbot during the time of my troubles with the new mbam. I told him it had been clean before, and I ran scans with three different programs and it got fixed. He exclaimed I shouldn't do that. I told him I only did one at a time, then did a clean uninstall after each, that mbam caught the bug, dealt with it as the other programs scans were clean. Again, I had only one program at a time on the computer. I asked him if his company had a component program that would protect further against malware. He wouldn't answer, but said I needed a 'professional'. I said why, when 4 scans including his program, came up clean. He said something was on the computer before I installed his program and I needed a professional. He evidently didn't think the subsequent scans were of any value, including his own company's. Makes me think I may need to get rid of his program. I said, isn't that what programs like yours are supposed to take care of?
    He said his program filtered and protected but this was a previous infection and I needed a professional. Just kept saying this. Then he said he wasn't going to continue the conversation. When I asked why,as I wasn't rude, just didn't agree with him, he reiterated the need for a professional. I asked why I should pay for his program if I needed a professional. :confused

I do not know if it is wise for me to say the name of the program I am now using in a public place? Would that make me more vulnerable to threats? It is one of the ones suggested by you all.
    As I am not literate in computers, I wonder if I can get you all's take on all this?
    Should I make a new thread?

Alterintel

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  36. rustysavage

Oops, I totally missed that one. Thanks for cleaning up after me..... again. And yes I did PM you back (the message shows up in my "Sent" folder). I'll resend it.

37. rustysavage

That's a lot of cloak and dagger over what appears to be a relatively tame piece of malware. I still advise that you proceed as instructed in the aforementioned article:

And regardless of what you've been told by MBAM representatives, you should, when "explain[ing] your remaining problems", be as forthcoming as possible about what you're doing.

38. rustysavage

Please disregard this erroneous post

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  39. plodr

Since he has never mentioned his version of windows, I suspect alterintel is running a pre-XP version of windows since he can't run MBAM 1.75, which I know runs on XP based on installing it on several different computers. Not only my own but for seniors I help.
    His computer might have unpatched flash (the last version of flash that would work on Win 2K was 11.1.102.55 from 2011), unpatched Java (don't know because I've removed Java from all computers) and who knows what else with security holes (Adobe Reader is a vector for malware). There is no security program that will protect him from zero-day exploits in an old operating system.

40. rustysavage

Plodr, unless I misunderstood him (I'm assuming he's a him), alterintel said he was running 32-bit XP (sp?) in message #18. Nevertheless, the matter of potential backdoor vulnerabilities is something he'll certainly need to address if he ever wants to secure his computer from malware. Given the menagerie of online computers that you somehow manage :major, I'm certain that you can address that subject more competently than I. My XP box hasn't been internet connected for some time now and I've taken myself out of the loop when it comes to XP vulnerabilities.

41. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rustysavage,

I don't know how to do the quote thing, evidently. Below is a quote from your post, I don't understand why it isn't in a border like everyone else's. I clicked on the reply with quote icon.

"And regardless of what you've been told by MBAM representatives, you should, when "explain[ing] your remaining problems", be as forthcoming as possible about what you're doing."[/QUOTE]

The representative was not from mbam. I have still not heard from mbam.
    What I was talking about in my previous post was from the representative from my current anit-virus program. That was a program suggested to me on the forum. As I said in this previous post, I have run 4 scans with 4 previous programs, and they all were clean.
    alterintel

42. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rustysavage,

I don't know how to do the quote thing, evidently. Below is a quote from your post, I don't understand why it isn't in a border like everyone else's. I clicked on the reply with quote icon.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "And regardless of what you've been told by MBAM representatives, you should, when "explain[ing] your remaining problems", be as forthcoming as possible about what you're doing."[/QUOTE]
    --------------------------------------------------
    The representative was not from mbam. I have still not heard from mbam.
    What I was talking about in my previous post was from the representative from my current anit-virus program. I wanted to hear what others thougt about what he said. As I said in this previous post, I have run 4 scans with 4 previous programs, and they all were clean.
    alterintel[/QUOTE]

43. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Hi Plodr.
    I am running windows xp professional , ser pac 2 [thought I already said that somewhere in this]. It is all I have ever used. Didn't use a computer till last few years; wasn't raised with it. So not very literate.
    Talk slow and simply. lol
    Re: gender; think of me as asexual.
    alterintel

44. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Plodr,
    Flash is current, I don't use Adobe reader, I have a lighter substitute I have had a long time that works better for me. I don't know if I have java, I might as some sites make you get it to use them. Would it be on 'add/remove' programs if I had it, or do I need to run search? If I have java, should I get rid of it?
    I have been waiting to install Bit defender untill I heard from mbam. But after 5 days I still have had no replies to my desperate messages. So I downloaded a trial version of a program you all suggested [avast]for the interim. Its scans take over an hour, and that is called the quick scan. Would bit defender be a good option as permanent protection.
    alterintel

45. rustysavage

Looking at what you posted, it's clear that your quote was missing the 'open quote' HTML tag. It should have started with "

46. rustysavage

If you have Java installed, it should show up in the Add/Remove Control Panel applet. A better choice to check for java is to download and install RevoUninstaller which is geared toward identifying entries that Add/Remove misses, and will allow you to clean out any remnants left over from any previous java uninstalls. As to whether you should uninstall it if it IS on your system, well, that depends on you. Specifically, do you use any apps that depend on Java and, are those apps worth keeping given the sizable vulnerabilities that Java poses to your soon to be unsupported OS? Both Plodr and I have completely removed Java from our systems.

Depending on what test results you look at, Bit Defender one of the best, if not the best antivirus program in terms of picking up infections. Most would agree that it is also the best in terms of resource drain (least drain on system resources). Once I choose a decent (non-confounding) firewall app to replace Norton, I'm switching to Bit Defender myself. Many people in here use avast and don't have complaints about slow scanning. For certain, a relative lack of processing power is largely to blame for most sluggish antiviral performance. But one hour to do a complete scan isn't unusual, depending on the size and number of drives being scanned, and the settings used to do the scan. You can always schedule your system scans to run when you're asleep so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

What's more important is how much drain the app placed on your resources while sitting in memory doing constant real time scanning. Is there a noticeable difference in system performance when the real time scanner is running and when you shut it down? If not, then avast is a reasonably good fit for your particular system. However, if you're willing to pony up the yearly fee, you'd likely be better served by a Bit Defender scanner (better detection rates and lower system drain).

47. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

48. mdonah

@Alterintel,

You said you're running XP Pro SP2. That may be part of your problem as well.

Microsoft released SP3 (<- link) in 2008 and dropped support for SP2 in 2010. The page says it's the Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers but, it's the one you'd use to install SP3 on your home computer. Run the installer and restart your computer. You'll then need to get the post SP3 updates (there could be over 100 of them) that are still available (even though Microsoft support for XP ended 4/8/2014, the updates through and including 4/8/2014 are still available).

49. rustysavage

I just installed BitDefender on my system and am tinkering around with all of the menus and settings. I'm not overly impressed with the GUI but it's workable. As I type I am doing a scan of my 250 GB SSD system disk with the program set to use average resources and run with average priority, approximately 500,000 items in all but no archives or......Wow, it just finished in 4 minutes and 41 seconds. That's fast. Unfortunately, that says nothing about how long it would take on your system because my system is newer, it's running from and scanning a SSD rather than a HDD, and my processor is undoubtedly much faster than yours. Nevertheless, I'm guessing that it would take less than an hour in any case. For a 2-yr / 3-PC license of their newest 2015 version of antivirus/internet security combo app I paid $59.95. Seems reasonable. But the program directory alone takes up 410 MB, not counting whatever system files it scattered about my drive.

Look, there's no viral apocalypse bearing down on us so I don't think you need to decide on an antiviral program this minute. Avast seems to be working well on your system, albeit slowly when running on demand. Use it for a few days and make sure that it gets along with all of your programs. Maybe keep it and spend the $60 on a bigger HDD which would give your entire system a speed boost and make room for even the largest antiviral apps. Don't bother with the freeware version of BitDefender as it is an on demand only scanner (no real time scanning, like your Avast).

The most important role of any antiviral scanner is the ability to sit in memory like a gladiator and scan the battlefield in real time. You don't need to be doing on demand scans every time you sign off the internet, or even every day. Just keep Avast, do your on demand disk scans while you're asleep and just take a deep breath. You're getting way too stressed out about this. Besides, you're going to need what's left of your frazzled nerves to look into installing a firewall app. A firewall app monitors the flow of information going between your computer and the internet and attempts to stop malware from ever getting onto your system in the first place. The articles that I previously referenced have some very good updated recommendations on firewall apps. There are some excellent ones that aren't very big, don't use a lot of resources, and are fairly easy to configure. Now, remember..... slow deep breaths ;)

Oh, and do as mdonah and plodr wisely suggest... upgrade your XP to sp3 and make sure that you have all of the available Microsoft Updates installed.

50. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Rustysavage, Mdonah, Plodr, et all; it is like I have a tech guy in my home who is letting me pick his brain for free. What a wealth of information and guidance in this thread. And you guys didn't get too technical on me.

I now have what I need and won't have any more questions on this thread.

Alterintel

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds