Excel Doing "things" with the @ sign

Discussion in 'Software' started by SeaDragon, Jul 16, 2014.

1. SeaDragon

SeaDragon Private E-2

I have Excel 2010. I also have a font called Bach that prints a musical flat sign that apparently has the same code as @. In trying to create a music transposition chart I need to have the flats (@) NOT do anything, however once I try to superscript them or add a space in the line they say "oh, this is an e-mail address" and open Outlook. How do I turn off this "feature" so I can type in things like Key of G{flat} has 6{flat(s)} and not get an e-mail opened going to G@ or 6@?

Running Win 7 Home Premium SP1, 4 GB Ram, on an Acer Aspire 7738G

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm not sure this will work but type an apostrophe before the @ so you' type "@ and then the superscript.

3. SeaDragon

SeaDragon Private E-2

plodr, it gets me part way there... I can now format it as I like, but if I click on the cell it still creates a (bogus) e-mail. The only way to edit a cell like this is to click on an empty cell next to it and hit f2 then I can edit, but the minute I leave the cell it is ready to send an e-mail.

So, now I can create and print, but the cells are still "booby-trapped" with emails, which can be tedious when talking about the key of C-flat which has 7 flats.

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate all help.

4. plodr

5. SeaDragon

SeaDragon Private E-2

Thank you, plodr, this solved my problems! I really appreciate your help.

6. plodr

Glad you got it working. And thanks for posting back.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds