Wireless Cards Will not Connect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Destructo, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Have a new roommate. He has an old hp pavilion 520n (specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=70999&lang=en)

I really do not want to run cable into his room so I thought to give him a wireless card. For some reason I cannot get it to connect. It says it connects to my network (d-link gamers lounge) and get an ip but cannot access either the network, internet, or router

And the ip assigned is not one handed out by the router. instead of 192.168.??.?? in the status it lists this ip: 169.254.106.232 (just realized that and do not know if its the same one everytime)

I have tried 2 different adapters, and old dlink airplus wireless b and a linksys usb wireless g adapter, and both have the same problem.

Another note, I had to update this comp totally, didnt have one update to xp home. And I updated the bios to the latest version as well.

It can connect via cat cable, thus the updating. oh and it still has a dial up on it that even though ive disabled in the connections tab of explorer still pops up sometimes.

Im at the end of my rope, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    destructo

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have you tried setting a static IP address for the wireless card ...?
    Find the ip address of all the other computers on that router and give the wireless an address one or two higher ...put in the gateway (router) and the subnet.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds