cpu usage hangs at 50%?

Discussion in 'Software' started by darkhorizon, Jan 26, 2004.

1. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

hey--

i've had my computer for a few months now and just yesterday, if i left it on for about 5 hours or so, the cpu usage started to hang at 50%. if i go to the task monitor, nothing shows that is using ANY cpu usage. as i said, this first happened yesterday so i rebooted, and it was fine, but it happened again a few hours after i rebooted today. it's just cpu usage, there is no hard drive activity, so what could it be doing? i have a linksys router (using that built in firewall) and i have an antivirus, any suggestions?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Where are you reading the CPU usage?

3. darkhorizon

task manager... you know, control + shift + esc, but no progams are listed as using it.

also, i know it is not a false reading because it runs at about 105 to 110 degrees farenheit because of the constant 50% load (according to PC Probe), when idle is usually 80 degrees farenheit

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Im not sure what is casuing it, but I find it odd you are getting a 25-30 degree increase in heat. I dont get anywhere near that with a 100% cpu load all day.

5. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

run adaware and spybot.....you can get them from here.
    They will erase any spyware that could be using your CPU.
    Also make sure you have all teh security updates for windows.

6. darkhorizon

the temperature increase is normal, i've always had it, i have a 2.6C GHz pentium 4 chip that is overclocked to 3.02 GHz, on stock cooling. i just ran an ad aware scan and removed the usual 35 cookies, and i just checked windows update and i've got all the criticals, i'm going to reboot now and if it comes back to 50% again i'll post

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds