Broadband Connection Dies

Discussion in 'Software' started by bungle, Sep 8, 2004.

1. bungle

bungle Private E-2

I have a reliable ADSL connection which worked fine with my first modem (until it melted). My new modem is a Binatone ADSL 2000. I usually connect to my PC through the USB port. Sometimes the connection works fine for hours and sometimes it dies after a few minutes.

The point is I think the modem is basically OK because the RJ45 connection allows me to continue using the internet on a laptop after it has died on the PC.

I am running XP Home (it has service pack 2 but this problem pre-dated that). I have Norton Internet Security. On the advice of binatone customer support I have just removed a few minor bits of spyware - I used Ad-Aware. I also disabled power-saving on the USB ports. None of this has made any difference.

I'm wondering if this is some obscure setting in windows. I haven't noticed any pattern in the failures but am just generally getting frustrated.

I would be grateful for any suggestions

Frustrated of London

2. xqz

xqz Private E-2

What do you mean it "dies"? Internet keeps working but it dies?

3. bungle

bungle Private E-2

Apologies,
    By 'dies' I mean that websites don't load ('The Page Cannot Be Displayed'), e-mails will not send/receive, anything requiring web access fails. The connection is maintained by the modem but nothing is getting through to the PC. This happens suddenly and with no error meaage or explanation. It may happen now and I won't be able to send this.

B

4. Zyto

Zyto Private First Class

Well the obvious answer, to me anyway, would be to replace the modem because the USB connection fails. or just use ethernet to connect it. The latter is a better option because ethernet will support a higher transfer rate. if you don't have ethernet on your PC, a NIC (network interface card) is only $10-$15.

5. Fuzz

Fuzz Private First Class

I agree because I had those same problems when I had a USB DSL connection. Get a Ethernet Card and it should fix your problems.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Are you connecting both the laptop RJ45 and the PC usb at the same time to the same ADSL modem?
    If that is the case, possible the problem lies there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds