Help with Dell Latitude D510

Discussion in 'Software' started by cjillson7030, Oct 19, 2007.

1. cjillson7030

cjillson7030 Private E-2

I have a latitude D510 w/windows xp. I am having problems when I type, I will be typing and notice my cursor has moved to a previous sentence and I am now typing between another word. Sometimes as I'm typing it seems as if I've touched the control key. I do have a mouse plugged in, but I am not coming near the touchpad. I also still have the problem if I disconnect the mouse. I used to have an option to disable the touchpad whenever I plug in the mouse, but that option has disappeared and I can no longer disable the touch pad. My cursor when I am not typing also sometimes jumps around the screen.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. cjillson7030

cjillson7030 Private E-2

Yes, it is an Alps. I downloaded the driver, now what should I do?

4. plodr

Install it and then look in control panel to see if it now offers an option to turn off the touchpad when a mouse is connected.

5. cjillson7030

cjillson7030 Private E-2

When I tried to install the driver it said that I already have that one installed. When I go to the control panel, there is a drop down box to disable it, but it is greyed out and wont let me use it. Should I unistall the original driver and download the one on the link that you had?

6. plodr

Look in device manager and see what version of the driver is installed? If you already have the same version of the driver installed, there is no point installing it again.
    Was XP on the computer or is it an upgrade? My older notebook had 98SE and I could disable the touchpad using a keyboard combo. Once I upgraded to 2K, I lost that ability.
    You may need to go into the BIOS and see if you can disable the touchpad from there. If you do disable it in the BIOS, please write a note reminding you when and how you did it because if you don't have a mouse attached and want to use the touchpad, it will take searching to try and figure out how to get it back.

7. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

Is the mouse a Logitech?
    If yes to Logitech, do you have the SetPoint software installed?
    If you do have the SetPoint installed. Try uninstalling it and see if the problem shows up. Here is the page to tell you how to uninstall and reinstall the software.
    http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=618&p_created=1087580842&p_sid=Wf_p1KOi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OTMsOTMmcF9wcm9kcz04NDQsODQ2JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjg0NiZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNldHBvaW50&p_li=&p_topview=1
    My son and I have both had problems with this software doing some crazy things.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  8. cjillson7030

cjillson7030 Private E-2

It is not a logictech, its a labtec. I don't understand why I used to always get an automatic prompt to disable the touch pad whenever I plugged in the mouse and now I don't. The typing all over the place is driving me nuts! I'm having other problems too and it seems it all started recently when I downloaded the SBC Global DSL disc when I got new service. My computer was perfect until then.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds