Batch Compressing JPGs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chrispy1, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Chrispy1

Chrispy1 Private E-2

(originally posted in the Intros section http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163284)

Hi all.....I'm a long time fan of this site but haven't thought to register to the forum till today. I'm not entirely sure where to post this, so figure this'll be the best place. What I'm looking for is a way to compress a number of JPG files using a batch program. Due to issues with what the pictures are of (used for insurance and legal purposes within my company) I cannot crop or resize them - they are taken by our inspectors and I cannot modify them. I can however compress them to reduce the quality of the image, but cannot figure out how to do this. I've tried IrfanView but that was unsuccessful, and I've searched on Google, here and a couple of other sites without any luck. All I'm looking for is a way to grab the files, reduce them down to less than 300 Kb (I cannot have any images larger than this) and move them to another folder. Sounds easy, but I've yet to figure out a way to do this.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

An application I use to batch transform images is XnView http://www.majorgeeks.com/XnView__d4974.html

Just highlight either 1 or many images as highlighted below ( images where from an older guide on batch processing images but show the menus you'd need to goto )

[​IMG]

Then right click any of the highlighted images and choose Batch Conversion ( or CTRL+U ) then in the image below you can specify an output directory for these images, say a temp internet/forum folder ( *best to do this to not overwrite the originals ) by clicking the [...] in the circled area or type in the same area the path to the folder if known.

[​IMG]

Then click Options next to the Format and maybe reducing the quality of the JPEG with the slider may help reduce the size of file and once set click the GO button.

[​IMG]

Dont know if this way would be acceptable for you as your not cropping or editing the image, just reducing its saved quality a little!?

3. Chrispy1

Chrispy1 Private E-2

Hey Halo......That's sweet. If there's a way I can do that through a Batch Command, I'll owe you a cookie :) The people that are going to be using this are, let's just say they don't use the "logic" in "technological" very well LOL and I'd like to have this as simple as possible. If worse comes to worse I'll do a detailed work instruction, but I'd really rather them put the files into a folder, double click the bat file, and poof! they're done.

Really appreciate your time.
    Chris

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not off hand while you can save the settings in a script file so that you can load up same settings again, it doesnt allow an originating folder to be chosen ( likely to do with the image names wont always be the same ), the output folder should stick if the blue star is clicked.

When you have chosen the best Quality setting it will stick ( unless someone changes it ) also output folder should stay same, but you could as mentioned write up a small guide and you can add a whole folder of images in one go by clicking Add Folder then browse for that folder click OK and all the images are added into the Input window.

Maybe someone else knows of a better solution, so maybe worth revisiting your thread later on, if I come across a more fully automated method I will post again, but above one is one I have used so more confident of its steps and being able to follow up with advice if needed.

5. Chrispy1

Chrispy1 Private E-2

I'm now getting some intense pressure from my manager to figure out a way to accomplish this task. I'm hoping that someone that hasn't already seen this thread will seee it and have an absolutely brilliant idea.
    Thanks...
    Chris:cry

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

7. Chrispy1

Chrispy1 Private E-2

Thanks joelsz - I have found one that's a possibility. My only concern is that I need the application to have command line capabilities, but I'll see what this offers. Thanks for the quick reply!
    Chris

8. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

The fifth selection (from Kristanix Software) says it supports command line functions as well as adding a right click option in Windows.
    The name of the software has changed to ImageBadger and can be found:
    http://www.kristanixsoftware.com/imagebadger/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds