antivirus and windows update FAIL

Discussion in 'Software' started by tvrb, May 29, 2010.

1. tvrb

tvrb Private E-2

Yesterday I got infected with Malware and then removed with SUPERAntiSpyware + Malbytes.

Here is the original forum post I made -- but now it's no longer a malware issue (I don't think), but rather a software/setup issue (I think).
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1494257

I'm still having an issue where my Avira Antivirus won't update/work and Windows Update won't update/work either.
    Avira simply fails at accessing the Internet.
    The windows update error I get says it is prevented from accessing the Internet. However, it is able to get to 35% before FAIL. Hmmm.

Chrome also won't work, but I think this issue can be solved once I can apply the windows updates I need.

I appreciate any help/suggestions that can help me solve this problem! Thank you!

2. tvrb

tvrb Private E-2

I'm attaching a ss of what I see when trying to update Avira (it turns into just chinese characters...).
    aviraerror1
    aviraerror2

For some reason windows update now decided to work! I have no idea what changed.

Here is the error I get in Chrome:
    More information on this error
    Below is the original error message

Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): Unknown error.​

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

4. tvrb

tvrb Private E-2

Thank you for the response.

IE does not work.
    Chrome does not work.

When I follow the steps for updating Avira manually, nothing happens. Is there a better AntiVirus program I could use? Could my Avira be infected somehow?

Thanks for your help.

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Do you have any net connectivity? Are you posting from yet another browser or PC? I'm wondering if Windows actually updated! Any exclamation marks in Device Managers - Network adapter.
    Cheers..

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

During that time with the update failure do you get any events in event viewer?

Click START, then RUN, then type in: eventvwr.msc

If UAC pops up, click yes.

Click "Windows Logs" arrow, then check
    Application and system for any errors related to windows update.
    Post them here.

Also try this for windows update:

http://majorgeeks.com/Fix_WU_d6278.html

In addition, can you attach your hosts file here?

Located: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

7. tvrb

tvrb Private E-2

@sikvik,
    I have net connectivity. Firefox works. IE and Chrome do not work. Windows update does not work. Avira auto update does not work. Malbytes autoupdate does work.

In other news, I had my computer off overnight and tried to update avira first thing and it worked! however, it still won't autoupdate. A scan didn't find anything.

In Device Manager, my network card says "This device is working properly."

I may have uninstalled some SQL and C++ programs from 'programs and features', could these be making a difference?

I ran the Fix WU, but my WU still doesn't work.
    Here is the error I get:Windows Update error 80072efd
    If you receive Windows Update error 80072efd while checking for updates, it usually means that a program running on your computer is preventing Windows Update Services (SVCHOST) from accessing the Internet. ...​

I don't see any windows update errors in the event log. Should I look for other stuff? There are ~6000 events.

I am attaching the hosts file, but I'm not sure it is very informative. I renamed it to .txt because without an extension I couldn't upload it.

Thanks for everyone help ... really hoping to fix this to keep my computer safe.

Attached Files:

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Two highlighted entries in your HJT may have to do with the connectivity issues. I'm not a HJT analyst and shall not advise you to fix the two. Do wait for brighter minds to respond.

Cheers..

9. tvrb

tvrb Private E-2

sikvik!

Thank you once again for the response. Don't sell yourself short (brighter minds? -- you found the problem!).

I saw what you highlighted and went into IE Internet Options. I found that I had been routing through a random proxy server (could malware have done this?). I set it to NOT do that anymore, and now my Windows Update works, my Avira Autoupdate works, and everything *seems* to be very happy! IE works and Google Chrome works too!

<3 <3 thank you very much!

I still have a couple issues with a parsing application I use, but it could easily be completely unrelated.

Thank you for everyone's help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds