1 month old laptop would like to optimize

Discussion in 'Software' started by 1computerditz, Apr 9, 2015.

1. 1computerditz

1computerditz Private E-2

I bought a Levono laptop ( I think I got a good price?) it's about a month old, but I really would love to optimize it to run at the best it can be.

I would like to get rid of programs I don't need, I have no idea what is what. I also need to know what I need to do to start up.

How to make the fan stop blowing very hot, I thought this computer would not run hot like this. And video will run choppy at times.

I notice that Mozilla Firefox crashes over and over again, so am using Opera and Chrome with no problems.

I would will welcome any suggestions. I am one that needs step by step instuction, and may ask questions as to why so I gain a basic knowledge.

Basic computer info: Operating system

Processors
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Cores
    Threads
    Family
    Revision
    L1 Cache
    Level
    Type
    Data
    Size
    32.00 KB
    Associativity
    8 way Set Associative
    L1 Cache
    Level
    Type
    Instruction
    Size
    32.00 KB
    Associativity
    8 way Set Associative
    L2 Cache
    Level
    Type
    Unified
    Size
    256.00 KB
    Associativity
    8 way Set Associative
    L3 Cache
    Level
    Type
    Unified
    Size
    6.00 MB
    Associativity
    12 way Set Associative
    Memory
    System memory
    Total physical memory
    8.00 GB
    Maximum supported memory
    32.00 GB
    Page files
    Total size
    1.25 GB
    Page file C:\pagefile.sys
    Size
    1.25 GB
    Motherboard
    System board
    Manufacturer
    LENOVO
    Product
    BIOS
    Vendor
    LENOVO
    ReleaseDate
    10-20-2014
    BIOS
    79CN50WW(V3.09)
    SMBIOS
    Version
    Video card
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Card memory
    2.03 GB
    Provider
    Intel Corporation
    Card version
    10.18.10.3304 09-09-2013
    Sound card
    Conexant SmartAudio HD
    Driver provider
    Conexant
    Driver version
    8.65.3.53 08-20-2013

Microsoft Windows 8.1
    Build number
    DirectX version
    Windows directory
    C:\windows
    System directory
    C:\windows\system32

Base score
    Processor subscore
    Memory RAM subscore
    Graphics aero subscore
    Gaming graphics subscore
    Primary disk subscore
    Assessment state
    Valid
    Assessment date
    02/11/2015 15:02
    Windows update
    Automatic updates
    True
    Last checked
    04/08/2015 18:17:49

Remember go easy on me, not that savy but will learn quick ( I hope)
    Thanks!

2. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

If you are having overheating and Firefox crashes, there is certainly something wrong with that laptop. Choppy video could be due to a lousy internet connection (everybody, me included, doesn't have a super-fast one).

Since it's just a month old, I would take the thing back to wherever you bought it and insist it be fixed or replaced under warranty. Getting rid of all the bloatware and unnecessary junk on it might help, but also might not and you would've wasted your time.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Umm, what makes y'all think the issue is caused by bad hardware?

If IE and Chrome are working as expected, don't the Firefox/Flash problems need ruling out first?

OP, exactly which Lenovo model do you have?

Is there an AMD/ATI or nVidia graphics fitted alongside the Intel built-in to the main CPU?

4. satrow

It wouldn't hurt to ask for the temps from the BIOS or HWiNFO64 either ;)

A munged attempt at optimising, installing generic drivers, a bad choice of 'tweaking' software - there are many user side things that can cause a raise in temperatures.

5. 1computerditz

I bought my computer directly from Levono, and would like to first see if my temp is running hot at times because of bloatware, and getting rid of and disabling what I don't need before contacting them again.

As I stated before, my chrome and Opera are working well on my laptop, Firefox keeps crashing, I am now leaning toward an issue with Firefox now.

I can't tell what is safe to remove and not safe to remove with the pre-installed programs, and I also need help with shutting off what is not needed during startup.

What is a recommended, reliable temp monitoring download to see what temps I am running? I had seen a program Core Temp, but from what I have read is it use to be great, but now is bogged down with adware/malware.

Just let me what I need to do for you to help, and please keep in mind I am using windows 8 and can't figure out this horrible operating system.

Thanks
    Gloria

6. satrow

I use HWiNFO64, when it starts, I select the box for 'Sensors only': http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwinfo64.html

In the screenshot on the download page, you will only see the rightmost window, lots of info on the hardware, voltages and temperatures. It will log as you use it, the columns will record min, average, max.

Once you've put the notebook through it's paces with normal tasks (ignore Firefox for now, let's get a baseline first), and then take some screenshots that show the full data, crop and save them and then attach them to a reply: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

Don't forget - it's a notebook, not a laptop - it needs some air circulating around it to enable effective cooling, hard surfaces are best, duvet's are out :major

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Gloria, download Speccy. It will show the temperatures of the Motherboard, CPU, and HDD or SSD.
    Take a screenshot and post it. Trying to optimize and/or uninstall any programs that was bundled is not a good idea.

BTW If you truly believe there's a problem with the PC, your best option is to return it, as mentioned by other members. Afterall, you do have a Warrantee. And certain rights, depending on where you live.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speccy.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  8. 1computerditz

I went with Eldon's suggestion, I only posted the temps. There is a link it gave me with full info, but I am not sure if it shows too much of my private info.

Summary
    Operating System
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz: 73 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    LENOVO INVALID (U3E1): 76 °C
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Lenovo)
    Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA): 42 °C

9. satrow

The temps etc only show one figure, without any baseline (min - max) or any indication as to what was happening during the logging period. Try to follow my instructions from #13, no private info is displayed, only enough hardware details will be shown so that we can make a reasoned assimilation of what is going on internally.

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Those temperatures are to high. As a reference, look at my PC's info as per Speccy.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    CPU
    Intel Celeron 430 @ 1.80GHz 50 °C
    Conroe-L 65nm Technology
    RAM
    3.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-15)
    Motherboard
    ASRock G41M-VS3 (CPUSocket) 35 °C
    Graphics
    E1941 (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel G41 Express Chipset (ASRock)
    Storage
    74GB MAXTOR STM380215A ATA Device (ATA) 38 °C
    Optical Drives
    SONY DVD RW DRU-840A ATA Device
    Audio
    VIA High Definition Audio

musksnipe,
    Speccy does show Services & Processes but, it's less than ideal. Task Manager as suggested by you, should suffice.

Gloria,
    As the laptop (which should not be used on your lap) is just 1 month old, speak with Lenovo.

11. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I don't think anyone has yet asked whether there is any possibility that the laptop doesn't have sufficient ventilation. It's important that nothing should be obstructing the vents when in use, as can easily happen say when using it sitting up in bed.

12. 1computerditz

I appreciate your help, I am going to do the requested steps but my son and I have been down with this nasty flu. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds