missing reserved K

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Apr 12, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Please see the attachment to better explain my question regarding the missing reserved K as oppose to disc management.

Should I do anything about this?

Attached Files:

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The system reserved partition doesn't, in my experience anyway, normally have a drive letter at all peter. As your pic shows, the partition exists but it currently has no drive letter so I'm a bit puzzled as to why System Protection thinks it should be K. Did you assign a letter to it at some point, which would then have caused it to show up in File Explorer?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

K has nothing to do with a partition on your computer. Please note that the icon shows a directory. (file folder icon)
    When I bring up my screen to match yours on my Win 7 and XP computer, the reserved partition is not shown but C and D are which are the partitions for the two operating systems. There is no "reserved" partition in the list.
    [​IMG]

Did you have an external hard drive attached and assigned it a letter?

4. Earthling

Not so plodr. There are two partitions in disk management, System Reserved and C: (Win 8.1), and the same two in System Protection. K refers to the System Reserved partition but can't find it because its drive letter has been removed/has disappeared. The icon is irrelevant.

Not all Win 7/8.1 systems have a System Reserved partition - only those to which the OS was installed before the disk was formatted or partitioned.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Which is trump, disc management or system restore?

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I thought my attachment drew a picture of what was happening.

I am going to remove the "K" for the reserve in system restore and depend upon disc management to show I have the reserved partition.
    I will keep restore points on the C: drive.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Apparently I have done or said something that bothered you.
    Believe me it was not intentional. I have received so much support here I would not knowingly say or do anything to be rude or inappropriate.
    I apologize for whatever is wrong and am grateful to all who helped me.

8. Earthling

Disk Management is the bible as far as your disks and partitions are concerned. The left pic is simply showing which of your disks have system protection enabled. If you wanted to assign K to the System Reserved partition is it actually available? If not, does it become available after a reboot? If neither then is there another disk usually attached to this machine but not presently attached?

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

To the best of my knowledge, Bernie, there was a K attached but is no longer there after I removed it. I do not know the source or the why of it. I understand your courteous explanation and thank you for your polite and professional reply.

I am satisfied that the disc management has the system reserved and that restore points are being built on the C drive.

Sorry about not understanding the issue at hand but I do appreciate your continued support.

Peter

10. plodr

So explain the difference between a System reserved and an OEM partition.
    [​IMG]

Neither have assigned letters and can't be written to. I assumed they were two names for the same thing.

11. plodr

And another newer computer
    [​IMG]
    with a System reserved Partition.

12. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

13. Earthling

Hi plodr, probably easiest if I let the How-To Geek explain it. All new OEM computers with Win 7 or Win 8 will have a system reserved partition and also a recovery partition, but as I don't use Bitlocker and don't need the recovery partition I always remove both. You only have to move the boot files and set the Windows partition Active and the system reserved partition can be deleted. It isn't at all difficult and I don't know why the How-To Geek says it is.

@ peterr - the system reserved partition is not in any way connected with your restore points. The article I linked plodr to explains its function.

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

@Earthling and Plodr - I did not think my little question would cause any problems. You two have always been vey helpful and courteous in the forum; my question is answered and I appreciate your patience and help.
    Peter

15. plodr

Thanks for the link Earthling! I learn at least one new thing about computers daily. I generally don't play around with eliminating partitions because hard drives are so large and I use only a small part of it.

Both my husband and I store our files on two locations OFF the computer. It's been great because when his computer acted up, back in the Win 9x days, he could jump on another computer and continue working. He taught at two local colleges/universities and he had deadlines for exams, test, worksheets, and grades. An ailing computer was not an excuse to have things turned in late.

16. Earthling

The only reason I remove the system reserved partition is to free up one primary partition. I do tend to use partitioning quite a lot so the the limit of four primaries can be a constraint sometimes. Also, like you, I like to have redundancy in my setup so no one computer going awol can cause any significant problem.

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

I would leave that partition be as said its basically the way to boot to recovery and saves digging out the Windows DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds