harddrive wont reformat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by compnut, Feb 6, 2007.

1. compnut

compnut Private E-2

i have 4 hard drives, an 80 gig, a 2.4 and 2 1.5s
    so heres the deal; my c drive (the 2.4) had xp on it, and the other day it decided to stop working. so i got out my xp disk, and decided to put it onto the larger drive and it wont let me reformat it and now its saying the same for the 2.4:cry and i cant install xp on the two small ones, cause there isnt enough space. can someone please tell me how to fix this? btw, i dont care if i never get any of my old data back

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

2.4 isn't big enough for XP
    Your only choice is the 80gb drive, you can Partition & Format it if you want
    Partitioning divides it.
    I wouldn't install XP on less than a 20 gb drive or Partition
    I would also install the OS on the fastest HDD in any given system, but your in your case you only have one choice, the 80gb drive

You say you cant Format it?
    Describe how your trying to format?

3. compnut

compnut Private E-2

When i go to install xp again, i use that option, i create a new partition, and go to format it w/ ntfs, which takes like an hour. but when it gets to 99%, it says that the disk is damaged. i get that message even when i tried after i installed the os on my 1.4 :clapyes it worked but only briefly. the weird thing is, i havent done anything to the drive to damage it confused

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

First thing to do is run a Free Diagnostic Utility from your HDD Manufacture.
    If your drive is bad you'll need to replace it

The thing about failing HDD is sometimes they work but complete failure will soon follow

5. compnut

compnut Private E-2

the weird thing is, i only bought it in september:( so i dunno
    i used to have xp on the 2.4 and it ran fine but its doing the same thing. what are the chances that 2 drives would show the same message at the same time?confused

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Hard drives have been known to die for no reason, with no warning. I've seen brand new 250gb SATA drives fail in 2 weeks and I've seen old 4200rpm 4gb drives still running strong after 10 years!!! You just don't know.... as mentioned above by Asus, visit the manufacturers web site and download/run the diagnostic tool for your hard drive.....
    hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds