XP-Pro,flash player 10 shockwave player 11

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikessmith, Oct 12, 2009.

1. mikessmith

mikessmith Private E-2

whats up!!

First let me say THANKS to whom ever replies to my post:wave
    I REALLY DO MEAN IT!!!!...thank you SO MUCH!!!...

MY EYES ARE BURNING and MY HEAD IS POUNDING:cry
    (reading this and that and this and that)

yeah im just starting to remember why...
    after just 1 year of owning them...
    i threw my XP computers in a corner to collect dust for years ..
    (and just used my 98 computer)

im not sure what all i need to let you know here..

just did a freash install..

XP pro Dell OEM with SP3
    AVG 8.5..
    Comodo Firewall..
    then i updated
    updated all critical updates in Windows..
    updated AVG..and Comodo

Did not install Media player 11 or 10..
    still have 9.0..(if that matters)
    (installed K-lite Mega codec Pack 5.1.0)

installed Net frame 3.5

and thats about where im at so far..i think thats all the things i've installed so far..

im going to install Firefox 3.5..

what im wanting to know is few things about..Flash player and Shockwave player..
    which i was just about to Download....
    when i went to download Flash player there was a choice that said..

i had 2 choices
    IE version of Flash player 10
    NON- IE flash player 10

and i just read (by accidently searching your fourm)
    a Fourm sticky thing about a Warning about Adobe flash player..
    read something in your sticky..
    Sticky: Major Security / Virus Warnings
    and something about 10/13/09 for flash player..

what im wanting to know is..
    if i am going to have both IE 8 and Firefox 3.5 installed on my system..
    do i need to install both versions of Flash Player?..
    if yes..
    should i have Firefox installed first before installing the NON-IE version of flash player..

should i wait untill after 10/13 to get flash player due to the Security thing about flash player..

and what i also want to know is..
    Shockwave player thing..
    can i have both Shockwave player and Flash player installed..
    do i need both installed.. Shockwave..and Flash Players..

do i need both versions of flash player 10 installed (IE..and NON-IE)
    if im going to have Both Firefox and IE8 on my system..

im sorry if this seems like a simple question..but im lost a little bit here..
    im kinda just use to installing one version of something..
    and updating as nessary..

now im thining of it..
    if i have both versions of flash player 10 installed..
    do i have to update both?..

how would i do the updating of having 2 versions go..
    would i have to update them seperate..
    would i have to update them in their respective browser..
    like..
    open firefox..and have that NON-IE version update..
    and then open IE8..and have it update that version..

do you even see a update notice for flash player..
    or is it done in the back ground..

or is it nessary to uninstall flash player..
    and just get a newer version..and thats how you update flash player..

shockwave..is it the same way for shockwave as it would be for Flash player.
    to update the shockwave player..

im sorry if this seems like a silly question..
    but im just trying to avoid troubles..

what i have so far installed on my computer..i have CLONED to another hard drive..(learned that the hard way CLONING is the way to go)

i guess if i mess things up i can just swap drives
    and Re format and clone my clone..
    now im thinking..
    if you clone a clone of a clone of a clone..do you lose any intregrity from the very first clone you made?..
    can you just keep making clones off of clones of a hard drive..
    could something go wrong..
    like making the first clone..(and try it out and it works fine)..
    then say something messes up and you put in your cloned hard drive..
    then you write zeros to the orginal messed up hard drive..
    the you clone it off the first clone..
    then you try that out see if it works..
    then you mess something up..
    and do it all again..
    will it eventually be to many clones made from clones??..

sorry i got off the orginal question..
    yeah im going to stop thinking now..lol..before i ask another question..

i hope i made some sense the way i asked my question..
    if you need to know anything else that might help you out helping me out..
    let me know..

and once again thank you SO MUCH!!!...for trying to help me out here:wave

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello mikessmith :wave May I suggest " Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 1.5.0.1 " ? That is a good tool, and will scan your entire computer in a mater of only minutes, and tell you what needs to be updated, and just click the "Fix it" button and it will take you to the vendor to get the update, but will also alert you to any software that is out of date, or is no longer supported by the vendor. Here is a link for you:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download/16458/Secunia_Personal_Software_Inspector_PSI_d6030.html

I would download that, and make sure you set it to "Advanced" and not "Simple" mode, then scan. "Advanced" is more through It will help answer a lot of your questions you have. It is my best friend:-D When it says update something, it means you need it.. Do not ignore anything it advises you to do. It is safe, and not a very big file. I think you will like this. I don't think "30611 downloads" can be wrong ;)

3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

If you will use both web browsers I believe you will need both the IE and non IE Flash Players. The latest Flash Players require that you uninstall old versions first, then install the latest version. Shockwave Player provides for additional functionality and web image and video content and is necessary for some sites to display correctly. Shockwave Player will typically install over any current version. Major Geeks is my preferred site for acquiring Flash and Shockwave updates...look under the 'multimedia' category in the site's left margin. Others may have more to add to your inquiry. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

5. mikessmith

mikessmith Private E-2

HEY T-CEE...:wave
    HEY Tritonobx...:wave

thanks for replying to my post you guys!!!..

i have a couple questions still..
    not really clear on the answers you gave..

i aksed if i have to have both 10 Flash players if i have both IE8..and Firefox..
    tritonobx
    not trying to sound ungratefull..BECAUSE I AM..that you even answered..
    THANK YOU SO MUCH TRIT...
    but the word belive kinda scares me a little bit..

i wonder if someone who already has IE8 and Firefox 3.5 installed on a
    XP pro SP3 system had to install both Flash players..
    do you have both browsers on your system??..
    do you have a XP pro sp3 system?
    if so did you have to install both flash players?

t-cee..im gona try using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 1.5.0.1..

do i have to have the computer connected to the inter-net to have Secunia Personal work?..
    can i use it off line and just read the info it would give me..

does it work like this...
    would it say something like..
    you need to get Direct X 9.0c...to have have your *something* work correct..
    (im just thinking does XP pro come with Direct X pre-installed)

or it might say something like..
    you need to install Shockplayer 11...because its not installed on your system.
    (but your system dosen't have the memory as required and your processor is to slow for it to work proper so you may have troubles with it)

or say if i had to use a older zone alarm firewall because i didn't have the 1GB of memory that is suggested for the newer updated version..

say would it take into account factors like that?..
    say maybe i only have 384 MB of memory..
    or a slower 1.1 celeron processor..
    would Secunia Personal..factor in stuff like that when it suggests i update to a newer version of some software..

yeah im so sorry if i sound like im asking stupid questions..
    but i'd rather be sure then sorry..

belive me i'd rather just keep using my win98..but lately there are less and less things that 98 works with..pretty soon it probally wont even be able to browse the net..

yeah thank you guys so much for helping me out here..

oh 1 more thing..
    no one said anything about the cloning hard drive thing..

is there a possibility i could run into a problem if i made to many clones..
    using only 2 hard drives..
    one to back up the other..
    say...
    having a problem..
    pulling the problemed one (the orginal one)..
    then putting in the cloned one..
    then formatting the orginal one..
    and cloning that off the cloned one..
    then have a problem again..
    and pull the cloned one..
    and cloning it again..
    say could there ever be a problem doing that..
    say maybe 10 times..or 20..or 30..lol..
    (yeah im just remembering how many times i had to re-install 98 when there was no way to correct a problem i encountered)

just kinda wondering..
    because before when i messed something up i'd spend days re-installing everything..
    yeah then i discovered cloning...

anyways..
    sorry if this was a long post..
    and my questions seem stupid..

and once again...thank you so much for trying to help me out here
    yeah thanks alot:wave

6. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I'd go with the XP operating system, and install both Flash Players if you intend to run both browsers. Applications requiring Shockwave will tell you when you open or run them. Direct X is integrated into most XP operating systems. Someone with more savvy would have to address your more advanced questions. Stick with the Major Geeks site and you will find many helpful resources for your computing questions and needs.

7. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi mikessmith :wave I have Windows XP Pro SP3. IE7 and FF. Also, Secunia is my best friend!

First off, don't be scared, we don't bite hard LOL Also, no such thing as a stupid question.. Never heard one myself...

• Q:do i have to have the computer connected to the inter-net to have Secunia Personal work?..
    Answer:Yes

• Q:no one said anything about the cloning hard drive thing
    Answer: Because I don't do that ;)

• Q:How does Secunia work?
    Answer: You have Media player 9. Secunia scans, and informs you that Media Player 9 is no longer supported by the Vendor. It WILL tell you that you need to update to Media player 11, which is the current version.. Please click the "Fix it" button, and follow the Vendors instructions for installing the latest version or update, and this will be removed from this screen.. You can click the Technical Details for a description of this problem..

Secunia is a relatively small file, and VERY user friendly.. It will help answer a lot of your questions that you have. Each computer is unique in itself, and all have different OS... I do not have IE8. I have IE7. But, Secunia only takes a few minutes to scan your system, and it isn't an antivirus, it checks to see what software you have and what programs, and what updates if any that they need. It has been good to me, and when you click the "Fix it" button, you will be taken to the vendors site for that particular piece of software..

For instance: Let's say you had Java 6. Well, that is outdated, and Secunia tells you to click the "Fix it" button. You click it, and you are taken to Java.com, where all you have to do, is click DOWNLOAD the latest version of Java, and you are set.. (One thing to remember, is to run JavaRA to remove the old version of JAVA first, then click fix-it!) that way you can do a fresh install of the new version.... I think you will like Secunia, it is a valuable tool... I run mine once a week, just to be safe.. You will have a screen that shows you a pie... Your system should be at 100%. If it is not, it will show you how you can get it to that point.. Maybe just an update, or remove an old outdated program... Whatever, it is very helpful.... Don't be afraid to ask any questions... We are happy to answer..;)

Just download Secunia and let it scan. It will surprise you... ;)

8. mikessmith

mikessmith Private E-2

Hey Tritonobx..
    Hey TC....

Sorry its been a while since replying and letting you know how things turned out with this..

Tritonobx...your right i have to have both versions of Flash player..
    both installed..IE version of Flash player 10 and NON- IE flash player 10..
    Installed them both no problems..

and i passed on installing Shockwave player (figured id wait until a program or web site says i need it installed to have their stuff work)...
    yeah why have something installed if you don't need it..

TC...Thanks FOR the info on a cool Program..Secunia..
    well worth keeping around..

thanks for the help Triton and TC..
    yeah thanks alot for setting me straight

9. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello mikessmith:wave Good to hear thing s worked out for you! Always nice to hear and that and you like Secunia.. That is a wonderful program. ;) Yes, you sure don't want to delete that one;) Just let it scan once a week, and it will help you tremendously.. Glad we could help ya :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds