W32.Spybot.Worm adds passwords

Discussion in 'Software' started by theginn, Mar 3, 2006.

1. theginn

theginn Private E-2

After being infected by the W32.Spybot.Worm virus, I cannot access from my other computer any of the shared folders on my laptop running XP Service pack 2. Whenever I try to access a folder on the laptop, it asks me for a password. I also get asked for a password if try to connect to the laptop through my Network Neighborhood folder. My other computer, a PC runs Windows ME.

Norton AV detected the virus and deleted it. Afterwards, I did all the steps in the READ & RUN ME FIRST posting in this forum. (Log files are attached.) I check for all the registry entries and executible files identified by NAV as possibily being placed on my computer by the virus, but can't find any of them. The scans I ran did detect some virus and spyware and removed them. In the case of the files found by Panda Activescan, I manually deleted them.

The computer seems to be running fine, but I need to know how to get rid of the password or passwords the virus put on the laptop which makes it impossible to access any of the files remotely.

HJT log is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

3. theginn

theginn Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Shadow. I did empty the NAV quarentine folder. The sharing problem is not with the individual folders. I am asked for a passwork even if I just try to connect with the laptop from my PC. I created a new folder on the laptop and shared it and I cannot even see it from the PC. I get a box asking for a password. There is also a \IPC$ after the name of my laptop in the password box that I don't remember being there. When I click on the icon for the laptop in Network Neighborhood on the PC I get the following message (see attachment).

Also, when I go into Computer Managment on the laptop and right-click on one of the ICONs for the shared folders, I don't get the "Properities" option, the only choices I get are Refresh and Help. It's like something has taken over the global file sharing on the computer. I don't know how to access Policies in XP so I haven't been able to access that.

ErrorMSG.jpg

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Open Windows Explorer, right-click on the shared folder, select sharing and security. Under the Sharing and Security Tabs make sure that the permissions are set the way you want them set for users and user groups.

5. theginn

theginn Private E-2

Thanks, but I already checked the share for the individual folders and globally in Computer Manager and I can't find anywhere you can manage passwords. I have SP home edition and it doesn't have all the options that SP Proferssional has.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I'm moving this thread over to the software forum. Where others can assist.

7. distorted.clarity

distorted.clarity Private E-2

8. theginn

theginn Private E-2

Not quite the same problem. My problem is that something (probably the W32.Spybot.Worm, because that's one of the things it does) setup a password or passwords to the share folders on my computer. Not only the existing share folders, but any new one I make also, and I can't figure out how to disable them.

Here are the main issues with my problem , just to make it clear.
    1. I got infected with the W32.Spybot.Worm
    2. One of the things the worm does is put passwords on remote share files according to Norton
    3. When I try to access a share file on the infected computer, from my other computer, I get asked for a password
    4. I never set up any passwords on the infected computer
    5. The infected computer is running XP Home Edition, so I do not have some of the tools available to computers running XP Professional
    6. I can't find anyway to set or disable passwords on the infected computer
    7. When I right-click on a share folder, there is no option to set or disable passwords.
    8. Since this happens even on new folders I create, it appears to be a global setting that's affected.
    9. I cleaned up the computer virus problem by running several scans.

9. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

10. theginn

theginn Private E-2

Yes. I searched for all the registry entries and files and really didn't find much. I believe I just had to change one registry entry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds