firefox will download, but not start: crashes on start

Discussion in 'Software' started by arariboia, Dec 4, 2009.

1. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Greetings. It appears that folks who have posted Firefox related problems in the malaware section, are eventually directed here, so I'll post here first. I can no longer launch Firefox: error window (Crash monitor?) pops up. After several unsuccessful attempts, I uninstalled Firefox, ran CCleaner and used IE to download a fresh version. Firefox would not download! I ran the following: Spybot Search and Destroy, IObit Security 360, SuperAntiSpyware, Sophos Anti-rootkit, kill2me, Malawarebytes, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, among others. None has found anything major - some adware related to the Comcast tool bar, which I uninstalled, was the worst (and only) thing I got. I used IE and downloaded and installed Chrome, which installed and ran fine, and used Chrome to download Firefox again. Again, it won't install. I'm running XP service pack 3.

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

is there any particular error present when you try to reinstall firefox.have you when you uninstalled firefox delete pertaining folders in both program files and document and settings,also when you ran ccleaner did you use the registry scan function.also what version of firefox are you trying to install.

3. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You ask, "is there any particular error present when you try to reinstall firefox"? I get the little "monitor" window saying it's encountered an error and to send the report to Firefox. I did submit all of the reports of all the failures to start, but the analyses at the Firefox support forum are far too technical for me to understand. I do remember, however, that when using IE to download Firefox, after clicking on the download bar, the page won't even change. There's no downloading activity of any sort... To your second question, I don't remember deleting all of the pertinent files myself. I just went through "Add/Remove Programs" and then ran Ccleaner, including the registry bit. The "Uninstall" process did ask me if I wanted to delete bookmarks etc, but I didn't because I wanted them there when I reinstalled Firefox. Finally, I'm trying to install the most recent version of Firefox from the Mozilla site. I got it to download using Chrome but it will not install.

PS: In reading the several posts and responses re: problems with Firefox in many sections of this site, I have noticed that "yahoo" is mentioned in many of them. One of the pieces of software I installed recently - it may have been AVG - installed the "Yahoo" bit in the bar...

Thanks again.

I am wishing you well.

4. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

G'day arariboia
    as domluc has stated that some times you need to delete these folders as there may be a corrupt file with in them usually the profile files.if you open my computer and then open local disk c then locate and open the documents and settings folder, in the computer name folder open this and locate the application data folder.if you can not see this folder at the top of the window click on tools and select folder options,then go to the veiw tab scroll through to hidden files and folders and check the show hidden files and folders box,press apply and close out of folder options now you should be abe to see the application data folder,open and locate the mozilla folder then open the firefox folder and then the profiles folder and the next folder open again .now you will see more files and folders you will be able to locate the bookmarks back up folder,drag this folder to your desktop also locate the bookmark html file and drag that to the desk top,you will be able to import your bookmarks into the new install later.now close out back to the first mozilla folder and delete it.once deleted click back one more time and locate the local settings folder and open it open the application data folder and locate the mozilla folder and delete it.now close out back to the desktop and go through my computer and the local c drive into program files and locate the what should be the mozilla folder mine is in a folder called shiretoko,locate the folder and delete it.
    now also go to add and remove programs and locate the yahoo toolbar program and remove it. now run ccleaner both cleaner and the registry program,with the registry program you may need to run it more than once to ensure all is clean.
    now try and reinstall firefox this is what is called a clean install.let us know how you went.
    domluc is also correct in stating that if you are using both AVG and iobit 360 together this may cause conflicting problems as they both provide realtime protection and may be blocking the installation.

5. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Thank you for the very specific steps. Will follow them and let you know how it went. Good question on the AVG and Ibot. They are not in real time. I installed them for the purpose of further scanning for problems but they are not "active" so to speak.

6. arariboia

arariboia Private E-2

Thanks for your help and for the ideas. haven't succeeded in opening the articles but will visit the site directly and search there. On your point "But on your last point - saying a new download will 'not install' - we would need to know *exactly* what you mean by that, such as what windows/errors appear." what I meant was the icon for the downloaded program appears on the desktop, but if I click on it, it does not launch the installer. It does nothing, actually. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds