Anyone using StraightTalk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimW, Mar 12, 2011.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Is anyone using Straight Talk ( Trac fone available only thru Wal-mart)? More than half the price I am currently paying and wonder if anyone is familiar with it.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I looked at it on Walmart's site, seems confusing. I am interested in a new cell phone. I would probably use less than 2 hours a year.

3. TimW

I went ahead and did it. For $30 a month ( using a credit card to auto refill my minutes each month ) I get 1000 minutes, 1000 texts ( which I never use ) and 8MB of web access. I was paying $70 a month for just phone usage through Verizon. This runs on the Verizon network. Might take a day or two to port forward my old number to the new phone. Phone costs anywhere from $39.95 up. ;)

Didn't mean this to be an AD. Just wanting to stop paying out the nose for the occasional use of a cell phone. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

My cousin uses Virgin. For $50 he gets 200 mins, unlimited text and web. He (unfortunately) has a droid.

I'll stick with my AT&T iPhone (as long as my dad keeps paying it ^.^)

5. TimW

I'd get an iPhone, if your dad would pay for it. :-D:-D

6. StanW

StanW Private E-2

Boost starts out at $50 a month unlimited talk and text and goes down to $35 a month if you pay on time for 18 months. Will switch in July when my contract runs out. And web. Must buy a phone.

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have purchased 6 different types of phones and services trying to find one that gets service where I live.
    Haven't had any luck yet.
    Last one, I had to go 20 miles just to get in range of a tower. Too many hills and valleys.
    Regular DEAD SPOT.

8. TimW

Boost is from Sprint and their coverage is not so hot. Straight Talk runs on either ATT or Verizon networks, depending on which phone you get.

@hrlow2 -- Yeah, it sucks that they can't or won't let you borrow a phone to see if you get coverage where you are.

9. silas

silas MajorGeek

yeah ive been useing it 3 months. I pay the 50.00 for unlimed txt and calls and internet. Iam poor and had to find cheaper. Had a friend use it. I never heard of it. Went to walmart. Checked the area supported for my phone. Main thing dislike no java on mine. So many sites cant see pics and boxes. I thing its cause i got older phone. Samsung slide.

10. silas

silas MajorGeek

I got some family photos on my straighttalk samsung. Was wondering if anyone delt with straighttalk being shutoff for a month. Then rebuy card to add later on. Was wondering if my cell goes unactive for a month. If myfam photos will be gone. Or will my photos stay till activated again. If they go away i need to print fam pic s out

11. TimW

The photo's are on your phone. You can activate your bluetooth and sync it with your computer to download the photo;s.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds