fbi gui manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by northwing@aol.com, Nov 20, 2009.

1. northwing@aol.com

northwing@aol.com Private E-2

I have a HP laptop pavilion 2500 that had a hard drive failure. I replaced the drive and used the restore disks from HP. Something called FBI Gui manager keeps coming up. What do I do to stop it? Thank you.

2. yabba333

yabba333 Private E-2

FBI GUI Manager stands for File Based Installer Graphic User Interface Manager, while it runs your computer will restart itself several times it will take a few hours what it does is it installs all the hp software that comes with you computer and also makes an image of your hard drive this includes windows so that if you ever need to reformat again you may possibly i say this cause its really a 50/50 chance of being able to do it by turning on your computer and continuously hitting the f11 key this brings up the image that the file based installer makes which 50 percent of the time lets you reformat your hard drive with out a disk this is good if you have lost your disk but it doesn't always.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The above text from a quote like this HERE http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=2961208&postcount=3 (always good to link to the original if it's not personal knowledge, just good nettiquette),

I take it you have just do a factory restore and what windows version was installed?

Has the full recovery finished as in all software that was defaulty on the PC been restored and in Device Manager all drivers installed as this installer can take quite a few reboots before it's finished? Don't wish to tell you have to stop it just yet personally invade everything is not finished installing

4. northwing@aol.com

I did the restore last night - it seemed to be in a perpetual loop. I shut down normally (even though the FBI GUI manager box was still there (but seemingly inactive) I just turned the laptop back on and the FBI GUI box is still there and files are unzipping. Any idea how long this should take? Last night it was working for over 2 hours.

5. yabba333

yabba333 Private E-2

sorry halo was in a rush forget. it will take a fair amount of time as too how long on estimate i am not sure.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Depends if all Devices are installed OK, 2hrs seems not too bad in OEM circles for a re-install, also depends on your internet connection as much of the updates are done online, I knwo my netbook takes 20mins to do a driver update with the update software, whereas if I where to manually install it would be minutes.

If your happy with all devices in Device Manager all installed and the PC seems to be running Ok then follow Goozits steps in the link they posted as that would be my suggestion in killing the service/application.

7. northwing@aol.com

Gloozit,
    I had gotten to the point where I was killing the two FBI programs (one in the apps section of task manager and on in the processes section). I then went into the all programs list to look for the FBI folder (I even did a search for FBI) and couldn't find it. Is it under another folder? Any ideas what else to look for?

Thanks,

8. northwing@aol.com

It was in the Systems folder. Thanks for all the help. I am now trying to figure out the drivers and keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.

9. northwing@aol.com

Thought I had it last night - had the internet and everything. Rebooted this morning and it crashed. I'll try to stop the process earlier this time.:(

10. suzuki719

suzuki719 Private E-2

after you log onto windows, click start,search/run- type msconfig, a small box should open,click on the tab that says boot, there should be something that says no gui boot ,check that,now click tab that says startup, scroll down until you see RUNFBI, uncheck that box and hit apply,thats it ..it should no longer see that program pop up at startup

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds