downloading from internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigheart42718, May 2, 2005.

1. bigheart42718

bigheart42718 Private E-2

I have a an hp with celeron processor laptop, it is 3 yrs old. I use dial up service which i never seem to get any speed greater than 28.8 kbps. Recently I have tried to down load from the internet. Yes i have pop-up blocker which always ask me if i want to download and i click on download. It will start to down load and then it stops transfering in the middle so I have to cancle out and start it over again which usually picks up were it just left off and it will go for a little bit and then stop transfering again. In order to down load something it usually takes me 6 or 7 tries and then sometimes I get the hole download and other times I don't. Well I am not sure what to do about this. I have ran many antivirus scans and they tell me I don't have anything. Is there something stoping me from downloading. Female indistress

2. Anderson

Anderson Private E-2

You should get a download manager.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

1. Might be that your actual telephone line are Quirky, resultant in slow and noisy connection.

You can try to take the computer to a friend and try the telephone line there.

2. Might be that your Modem (or other hardware part) is getting “old”.
    Laptops by their nature deteriorate faster than Desktop.

3. Might be that some wrong setting in Firewall/AntiVirus etc. disturbs long term connection. Try as one shot experiment to disable all of the traffic "filters" and see if it helps.

4. Might be that your TCP/IP setting are not optimized.

This page will explain to you how to try to remedy the 4th.

Link to: Optimizing & Measuring the "Speed" of Internet Connection.

Otherwise you probably would need professional help.

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds