Windows License Key Missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nanasue462, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Nanasue462

Nanasue462 Private E-2

Hello! I am having frequent blue screen shutdowns with a code 80070426. My Windows License Key is missing and I cannot use Windows Update. I recently had a computer tech to work on my computer to stop constant freeze up but he could not fix the Blue Screen problems. I have downloaded the MG Tools and I am running it now. However, the scan has been on the follow message for over an hour: Running processdll.exe to find loaded DLLS. Please help if you can. Thank you so much.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Nanasue462...

If you could provide some information it would be very helpful:

1. PC make/model
    2. PC specs (processor/amt of RAM/hard drive size and amt of free space)
    3. Version of Windows (and 32/64 bit)
    4. Do you have an installation disk for your version of Windows?
    5. Does your PC have a license sticker on the side with a product key?
    6. Can you boot at all into Windows?
    7. Can you boot at all into Safe Mode?
    8. Have you run chkdsk or sfc /scannow (may require an installation disk to complete repairs)?

It would also help if you could briefly describe what happened leading up to the beginning of the BSODs...

3. Nanasue462

Nanasue462 Private E-2

1. PC make/model - Dell Studio 1535
    2. PC specs (processor/amt of RAM/hard drive size and amt of free space) - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100@2.10 GHz 4.00 GB 46.5 GB free of 288 GB
    3. Version of Windows (and 32/64 bit) Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
    4. Do you have an installation disk for your version of Windows? The only disk I have is the Dell Drivers and Utilities disk
    5. Does your PC have a license sticker on the side with a product key? Yes, I have the License Key
    6. Can you boot at all into Windows? Yes, but the computer constantly goes to blue screen
    7. Can you boot at all into Safe Mode? Yes, I can boot into Safe Mode
    8. Have you run chkdsk or sfc /scannow (may require an installation disk to complete repairs)? Yes, I have run both of these and had a Microsoft online tech run these and could not re-activate my License Key. My activation page states, "This copy of Windows is not activated. Click here to activate Windows now." Product ID: 89583-OEM-7332157-00204[/I]

Nothing has to be going on to get the BSOD, it just happens frequently no matter what I am doing. I cannot run a full scan of my Kaspersky because the BSOD will shut down the computer. I really have not been able to do much for any length of time due to the BSOD. And thank you for your reply.

Plus, here is a question - Why does the Chrome search engine state that this website may be hacked??? If it may be hacked, is it safe?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. AtlBo

Nanasue462...

Thanks for the reply. The information will help.

Do you mean is Major Geeks hacked? NM, I just looked, and I see what you mean. I assume the administrators here at MGs are aware of this, but I have not heard anything previous to this. I believe the site is safe, but I will contact an admin and see what's going on.

As for your PC, if you can get into safe mode without the blue screens, there are some things you can do that might help with the situation. Before that, I should ask if the blue screens persist in Safe Mode, too?

This sounds like a driver or program startup that is likeliest the culprit for this. There is a way to see a little more. If you could, please go to your C:\Windows folder and locate the "Minidumps" folder. Highlight the most recent 10 of these and then create a zip folder containing the files. Then in your next post click on "Manage Attachments" and attach the zip folder to the post.

Thanks for bringing the Google issue to attention here on the board...

5. Nanasue462

Nanasue462 Private E-2

Here is the Minidump file. Thank you for checking out the "hacked" notice.

Attached Files:

6. AtlBo

7. Nanasue462

Nanasue462 Private E-2

I am so thankful for your help. I have to get off the computer for now as I have to get ready for work in the morning. Will check back later tomorrow!

8. AtlBo

Nanasue462...

I e-mailed the admins about the Google search listing. Hopefully, I will hear back soon.

Looks to me like your chipset or video drivers could be the problem here. The link I posted a few moments ago does not appear to apply directly to you, since you have an Intel based chipset and not an AMD one.

I recommend taking a look at the drivers listed on the Dell site for your PC to see if there have been some updates to them since you last updated the drivers in your PC (or purchased the PC, whichever applies). Here is the link to the drivers page for your PC:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/studio-1535/drivers

Going to think about this for a little while. I feel certain it is a driver, but I would like to know one thing. Does the PC blue screen when being used in Safe Mode? I know it's a hassle to use the PC in SM, but it would really help to know. Maybe you could plug in the laptop and access some live video at Twitch or something and just let the PC run, while you do something else. To do this, you would boot into Safe Mode with Networking instead of regular Safe Mode.

9. AtlBo

Sure. When you are ready, post again, and we'll get back to removing the gremlin from your PC. :)

10. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

It happened last week and again this week. site was not hacked and Google is slow to respond to fix it. At some point we will have to let a lawyer handle it as responding to people costs time and their actions cost us visitors. To call a site hacked as a default thing having nothing to do with being hacked is typical bad business by Google.

11. AtlBo

Thanks for clarifying that MA. The system they have for this is too removed from the lives of site owners I feel. By this I mean that Google has put together this system, and they don't seem to care who is hurt or even about ways to fix the problem when/if there actually is one.

I saw this happen with another site that actually was mildly hacked, and it took months for the site to recover from the label. The little tag on the listing wasn't the worst part of the treatment, though.

If Google is going to put their reputation on the line, proclaiming that they know who has been hacked and which sites are dangerous, I suggest they also be prepared to substantiate their belief in regard to the matter and then that they also be ready and willing to offer assistance. At least they could offer a single "works every time" way off of this list of theirs.

Nothing against Google, but this is a very bad way to conduct business, I agree.

Thanks again, Nanasue462, for pointing this out to me. C'mon Google, you're in the army now! Act like it please :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds