Computer wont shut off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NeM, Sep 10, 2004.

1. NeM

NeM Private E-2

Hi, I just bought a mobo/cpu combo it is a Intel p4 3.2ghz with a MSI 848p Neo-V Mother board. My problem is that my computer will not shut off completely. The only thing I can notice that shuts down is my hard drive and bios beyond that the fans keeps spinning and power is still supplied to my motherboard. My only means of shutting off my computer completely is the I/O switch in the back. But i fear using that too much will short my power supply. And my power supply is a Cheifmax ATX 550w. I even tried holding in the front power button and so far it has only worked once but any further attempts to use it fail. It just stays on. At first when i had completed building it, the power worked fine. This problem just started 2 days ago and I built this computer on tuesday. Any help will be appreciated. I just wanted to know someones thoughts before i shipped it back for a replacement. Oh and Im using Windows XP Professional. Ive even erased my hard drive a couple times but that doesnt seem to affect it any.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

If it's not already enabled in BIOS, then enable advanced power management then next time you boot up, enable it by right clicking desktop>properties>screen saver>power>APM and then make sure that the enable advanced power management box is ticked. if it is then i'm not sure....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds