Problem with Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by clgy, Feb 12, 2008.

1. clgy

clgy Private E-2

We had a recent power outage while the computer was on, and when my it turned back on, the sound was gone. When I use iTunes, it says "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly." I looked under Sounds, and everything is "greyed out". Next to Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver, there's a yellow "!" and the Device Status says: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39).

I've looked at other threads with the same problem, and many people suggest deleting it. It seems as though that doesn't do much help, and I'm afraid of messing something up even more.

I'm not very familiar with 'fixing' things on the computer, if you provide an explanation, it would be nice if you could be able to "dumb it down" a little for me :p Not sure if this is needed, but my computer is an HP Pavilion a810n, and runs on Windows XP.

Thanks for your help!

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Disable that driver, while in Device Manager. Shut down and re-boot your PC. Any difference?

3. clgy

clgy Private E-2

I tried that, and still can't hear sound.
    But after disabling the driver and rebooting the computer, I went back to device manager, and the driver has disappeared from the list.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

5. clgy

clgy Private E-2

On the instructions for downloading the chipset driver, it says that after I download it, I should go on device manager and update the driver. I'm not sure what it's called on the device manager, though, or what category it would be under.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

In the Device Manager, open the System devices.
    Find the driver listing for the chipset for System and Graphics Controller, or Processor to AGP Controller.
    It may say something like:

Intel 955X Processor to I/O Controller - 2774, which would mean you have an Intel 955X Express chipset.
    Intel 82810eDC-133 System and Graphics Controller, which would mean you have an Intel 810e chipset.
    Intel 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller, which would mean you have an Intel 865G/PE/P chipset.
    Nforce4 PCI-Express Root Port, which would mean that you have a Nforce4 chipset.

Often the chipset will be contained in the 'System devices' category and will be the last of all the listed 'Intel' or 'Via' or other manufacture in a row.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds