Computer Geek Stereotypes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by motc7, May 29, 2009.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I think we all know what they are, but I was reading here how someone is going to ride their motorcycle this weekend and hammer some beer. Now to most people this doesn't fit the image of a computer person. My question is, do you often get strange looks or comments when you do something "normal" instead of what some people perceive that you should be doing because you are a computer geek?

Yesterday for example, I had this dweeb of an accountant state that she was surprised that I used to be in the Marines. She said that I didn't fit the type.(I was waiting for her to start the meat head/you're a drunk comments but she didn't) Anyway, I told her I was in fact, and I asked her why she felt that way. She said "Oh you know, because you are into computers and whatnot and well the Marines...blah blah blah I don't know crap and keeps on yammering."

I told her, "You know, I worked on lasers, night vision and thermal imaging equipment as well as missiles. Those run on computers, so you know, the Marines use that computer stuff to blow crap up."

She promptly sat down noticeably embarassed. My goal was not to make her feel stupid, but to show her, "Computer nerds can be normal people."

2. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I get the flip side...no one will believe I'm a computer geek because I don't seem like one. It's entirely too much fun for me to take my laptop to the bar and work while we're doing shots. LOL

Well, that's not true. The people I work with totally get it, it's just regular people who can't understand how someone who does as much physical labour as I do and who can out-drink most of the guys can at the same time type 87wpm and program with one hand while shooting Rumpleminz with the other. LOL

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

LOL, that's a good story.:-D Brains or brawn but not both eh?

EDIT: Both are good stories. Alas, I don't have a good anecdote.

4. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I get it a lot, since I am a big Iowa farm boy. I am supposed to be a human mule and not real bright.

It freaks people out when they realize that I am a genius, which is both good and bad.

The tattoos are icing on the cake, that really messes with people's head in the extreme.

5. motc7

That's signature material right there. :-D

6. whoay35

whoay35 Private First Class

Totally agree, that one made me laugh out loud :-D

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am not sure if i am a stereotype or not ?

I am not geeky looking and definitely not a beefcake and my only claim to being a geek is my rank here on MGs

8. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Was that my post in the weekend topic youre talking about?
    To answer your question, not really. When im at work, i wear a shirt and tie most of the time, and cover up my tattoos. Or just a dress shirt -tie. Out of work, im still the same guy with a Famous t-shirt and baggy jeans. Definitely not your stereotypical geek.
    I dont usually tell people what i do unless i have to.

9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

More like I get weird looks when I start talking computers. Like yesterday, I'm getting my hair cut and my hair dresser starts talking about his laptop and then somehow it moved to Linux. He looked at me weird and says 'how do you know all this stuff???':-D

roflmao....that's good.

Btw....obviously, based on a number of responses in this thread, a lot of geeks have tattoos. LOL

10. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

there was a whole thread about it a long time ago

11. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Yup, I remember that thread very well. Your tat was the most impressive ATT and a real work of art!:cool

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm more your stereotypical "Computer Assassin" :) hacks off the IT techs in work as I dont work in that dept, work in medical research but when I email on a tech issue I give a step by step recreaton and the possible fix, fix as I dont have admin acess in work as only IT dept have that.

I'm pretty much like Steve and wear a shirt and tie in work and normal jeans an T outside, no tats tho.

13. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I would kill to have a user like you around.

all my end users are "my laptop is broke, I need a new one." when all that is wrong is the wireless is turned off.

14. motc7

I just implemented a new help desk system about 3 months ago. This company has never submitted tickets before.

Some of the titles of tickets:

Help!

Computer

My iTunes won't work (as if you should be using that at work)

Cannot load fantasy baseball webpage.

Weird (this one just killed me)

15. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I have to admit that I just had the desire to kill someone over that right there.

I was reprimanded once for not pirating photoshop for one of the sales force. And I was hauled into a huge meeting over reprimanding me again because a bunch of ports are blocked by the firewall here at work.

Those ports?

mostly ones used for P2P piracy programs.

16. motc7

My favorite one...seriously.

Working for a financial services firm support, guy calls in and says his streaming quotes are not working. After troubleshooting everything, I'm thinking it's something to do with the router, and he was wireless. The following conversation actually took place with a customer that to the best of my knowledge is a human, though just barely.

Me: Sir, lets login to your router and check a couple of things.

Customer: OK how do I do that.

Me: Well you need to enter the IP address to your router in your browser and then we should get into it.

Customer: I don't know what brand it is.

Me: Well, the name of it should be on the box somewhere.

Customer: There is no box in the house, I just have wireless.

Me: O.k. I understand that, are you using a wireless adapter from your cell phone company.

Customer: What's that?

Me: (realizing that he doesn't have one if he doesn't know what that is) Sir who is your internet provider?

Customer: I don't have one, I just use wireless that my neighbor has, now are you going to help me or not?!

Me: No sir, I am not going to help you continue to steal bandwidth from your neighbor next door.

17. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

is it wrong that me and a buddy would leave wireless access points open and usurped control of the computers that accessed those hubs? we never did anything really malicious, it was just stuff like change their desktop, randomly killing various processes, taking over various stuff, just general pranks. :)

18. motc7

Technically, I think that is a crime.

On a lighter note, I find what you did, extremely entertaining. :cool

19. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Well, I'm a good-looking woman who dresses the part, so I probably just broke a ton of sterotypes right there...

I'm proud of the fact I'm a geek, so never bother trying to hide it, which makes people give me odd looks sometimes, since I apparently don't look like someone who knows the difference between a North bridge and front-side bus. My male co-workers still find it hilarious that I keep a manicure set at my desk so I will have something to do while tuning out ranting/rambling customers. :)

Thing is though, to me, geeky things are "normal". My friends share my interests and passions (translation: I only hang out with geeks) and my job is in Level 2 tech support for a RAM vendor so work is practically geek central. When it was really slow one afternoon a while ago, we amused ourselves photoshopping pictures of co-workers into screen shots from video games and digging through E3 previews.

And no, if you'll excuse me, I need to go refill the drink before tip-off. GO LAKERS!

20. silas

silas MajorGeek

It is illegal to go onto someone else internet and use it. Even if it was your friend its still illegal. Getting something for free. But many people do it and still do..

21. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Pictures!!! Dag nab it!! Pictures!!

22. DavidGP

Geek girlies are hotties :) :drool

23. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

I look more like a prop in a rugby scrum. With the looks to match. :) I'm as far as you can get from the picture of a stereotypical geek as you can get. Shaved head, 16 1/2 stone, with tats and a face like a rottweiller licking p*** off a nettle.

24. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Sure... here a picture of something sweet and desirable.

25. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

CAKE~~~~!!!!!!!!!

(Now Mimsy......please bow to the overwhelming crowd demands!!) :-D

26. DavidGP

Just going to expand on this as one of the IT tech in work who girlie, who is only one of a few I will ever let touch my work PC has a full arm tattoo, and she knows her stuff.... I can and do dictate who will work on my PC as most of the software is unique and very expensive stuff, I have dedicated IT support in a gov dept, which is not the normal.

While not having IT admin access, medical issues take precedence over the usual facebook and email issues :)

27. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, I guess people who don't know me that well may be surprised that I live and breathe computer tech, (just take one look inside my home, lol!). Then again, clients that I do I.T. work for are surprised I'm an ex-special forces soldier, (even though I'm 6 foot, fit and wearing camos at times. - Camos are comfy and have plenty of pockets for Geekazoids like me, eh).

Usual question is, "who taught you all this?" and "where did you learn all this?" Answer:- Some theory, but 90%+ 25 years experience, trial and error, etc.

28. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I find it really funny that a lot of things just don't occur to most people. I don't know if it is laziness, apathy, or stupidity, but I do think that most of the world has blinders on about as much as Ivory soap is pure. I think that is what scares people around the most, the logical chain of events that I see or don't see that they have no ability at all to fathom.

(not directed at either of you two, just extending the conversation)

29. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

Ya I get that all the time... People are like you don't look like a computer geek (Because I am in good shape :p) My response is what should a computer geek look like? Typically people picture either a skinny guy with glasses and a pocket protector or a fat slob with greasy hair and a sinus infection lol That stereotype is pretty much non-existent but that's the image that's advertised and shown in the media outlets.

30. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

pictures or it's a lie just like the cake!! All a lie!!

31. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am also in good shape (for a sack of potatoes)

Girlie geek.

[​IMG]

32. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Well, most of you know that I am in puter school :) My past profession was a BOM for a surgical center...but they also came to me for various computer issues that I could fix rather than have to call our IT support. Yes, I do look like a BOM with an attitude :) Italian/Norwegian hottie!!!! I might add :-D

My father was into electronics and I was always right there watching him fix a TV or a stereo or other pieces of electronics, and with that I was never in the least bit intimidated by computers when I got my first one...

Since that time I have played and toyed with them and have yet to actually "break" one :) The time finally came for me to go to school and get some certifications...

And it is quite funny when people ask me what I do (now) and I tell them I am in computer school they just look at me and say "Really"? You don't look the type....:)

We are just what we are - Geeks!!!!!

33. motc7

Sorry but I find her hideously unattractive.

34. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

[singsong] Haloooo has a cru-ush[/] LOL

35. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

Did someone seriously post Pauley Perrette over Kari Byron?

[​IMG]

Although she's a house at the moment, pregnant.

36. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Sorry PAX but who is Kari Byron??

We have NCIS twice a week ( i am a fan:-o) on this side of the pond but where does Kari come in?

37. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

I like NCIS too. I use to watch it all the time. Kari Byron is from a show called "Mythbusters"

[​IMG]

38. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

I am also not the typical geek- 6.0 ft and 285lbs (big farm boy) driving an old beat up chevy P/U.
    Most people have no idea when they first meet me, they see the size and assume I am a human forklift.
    Then I start to talk about computer,video,audio systems and I am met with a stunned silence and a lot of blinking-LOL.
    It is amazing to me the number of computer users have no idea what happens in there pc and could care less. I mean even though I am no mechanic, I know how to tune up my truck,change the oil and replace alternator etc..
    Even my mother asks me how/where I gained my knowledge ( big thanks to MG's for making me sound a heck of alot smarter than I am)- just found my "special purpose" in life(a bad "Jerk" reference)-LOL
    All 28 years of experience self taught and still love what I do-(just wish it was enough money to quit the slave job)

Petaluma

39. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@ PAXTON
    We have not had that one yet.
    We normally get series about 2 or 3 years after US release.

My wife is a fan of The Bold and the Beautiful (no geeks in that) but that is at least 5 years behind the US.

40. motc7

One thing I've found is that the longer I worked in IT over the years, the more when I got home I just wanted to do manual labor type stuff. I mean, if someone called me up and said, "Hey, can you help me drop an engine in a car this weekend?" I would go in a heartbeat, even though to this day I've never done it. I love tools and I love working hard on something to make it work. In that way, working in the yard or on your car or truck is still like working with computers. They need to be maintained and repaired every so often. When you solve someone's computer issues, man it's a sense of accomplishment, just like changing out those worn out front axels on your car or truck.

41. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

i hear you on the manual labor stuff. its always nice to get out of the office and do something physical without much brain power every so often. pretty relaxing imo

42. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

like mowing the grass & weedeatin', love it

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds