What's the best free antivirus right now?

Discussion in 'Software' started by seelisilus, Dec 15, 2011.

1. seelisilus

seelisilus Private E-2

Is it still Avast? I'm temporarily using AVG 2012 for about a week now. Can anyone recommend a better free antivirus, one that's light and gives you better protection than AVG.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

For myself, it's Avira AntiVir Free.

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I've been happy using AVG 2012 Free; also use Microsoft Security Essentials on client PCs (free, works on Vista and Win 7 only). Both seem to do the job well and don't hog a ton of system resources like Norton or McAfee.

5. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

I'm a dedicated Avast user. It's been on all my systems.

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

On two of my computers I have Microsoft Security Essentials,,without any problems ,because it's light!! On my other two I have Avast because I do more surfing and downloading on them. Because of all the shields I would refer Avast!!

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Another for Microsoft Security Essentials. Also Comodo Internet security is good.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You will get a multitude of replies to a thread on this type of "what's the best...." subject and that's fine, and the applications mentioned are all capable of the job of scanning for virii etc

The thing is an anti-virus is only say 50% of your security arsenal in keeping your PC free and clear of malware, things like...

• Keep PC and all apps upto date
    • Safe Surf and download only from known sites
    • Do not rely on just Anti-virus, look at some free complimentry apps as well, Spywareblaster, free Malwarebytes and Superantispyware etc also to run as well as your AV.

so think about the whole PC security thing and not just what's the best or so called best as these are more personal choices over best, for me there is NO best app, just the one that you find does the job for you best, if an app seems to keep you free from malware then its the best and dont change.

I run to keep the ball going Microsoft Security Essentials on Netbook, laptop and it does a superb job, small light and gets good reviews, I am running a beta at present of the next version, which uses the Forefront engine.

I do run Avast Free on my desktop and that's been great so I have not changed it to MSE.

I run Microsoft Forefront on a Sharepoint Server 2010 that I'm playing with now.

*as an observation of late on some well known AV apps, they are getting a bit heavy around the waist, a lot of the scan modules they install are likely not needed as the main scan engine should do all this scanning anyway, email and office etc for an e.g. which is why I custom install an app (dont need to do that with MSE) and install the main engine and network and any script modules only.

9. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Nothing slows down your pc like MSE. I have seen the benchmarks, easily the slowest scanner on the market.

10. DavidGP

Not notice it slow my lap and netbook down unlike Avast and AVG, but I really do agree with you its scanning of files is a painfully slow task if you do a full scan.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I have seen Comodo slow down my Netbook after the change in the last major update, but for MSE, it actually has faired better using it, vs Comodo Internet security. It is more of a trial and error, in trying to find the best solution for the computer that the person is using. What works for one person, may not work the same for another.

Now, with the latest update beta for MSE, it actually is working better than the last version. Plus, I only allow it to use 30% of CPU resources when scanning, not the default of 50.

12. DavidGP

Now that is a good option in an AV to have and MSE is good in this respect and like you I limit its CPU usage, even though I have a QuadCore Intel i7, which will handle it but my Lap and Net are an i5 and Atom respectively can be helped with the reduction in CPU usage, likely not needed but worth using.

I would rather a AV take its time than be like a speed reader and miss a few pages, and as Browniz mentions the CPU scalability helps you scan and work at same time ok.

13. Major Attitude

Want to the answer to the best scanner?

http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/removal-tests

Worth noting that the top 3 are all shareware. I have been saying for over a year now that Norton is back.

First 2 free tools that remove well are Avira and Microsoft so I stand corrected. Panda, AVG and Avast fared ok but really at the bottom of the list.

So the short answer here is Avira is most likely your best bet as a scanner goes. If you are worried about performance then that changes very little as many antivirus tools made the list of being quicker for a total of 12, all in our discussions.:

So if you wanted a one word answer.

Avira.

14. slipknot72102

slipknot72102 Private E-2

AVIRA has been best for me. I have used AVG and AVAST both free and pay versions and didn't like them. AVIRA has almost no "fingerprint" on your system when your not scanning. I have also not have virus problems despite going to several typically shady sites.(torrent sites and watch tv sites mostly)

I also use malware fighter v1.2.

15. seelisilus

seelisilus Private E-2

Thanks for all your answers. I'll give Microsoft and Avira a try.

16. DavidGP

Hi

Please do try them separately and not at once as it will impair performance of your PC and uninstall the already trialled one before you test another AV.

But also have a read of this also How to Protect yourself from malware!

17. seelisilus

seelisilus Private E-2

Yep, one at a time. I planned to try Microsoft Security Essentials for a month, then Avira on January. But i really like the simplicity and lightness of Microsoft and think i'll stick with it after i tried both.

Btw, it also works on Windows XP( which is what i have) contrary to what gman863 said. There's no download link for XP here so i downloaded mine on Microsoft.

18. seelisilus

seelisilus Private E-2

Been using MSE for almost 2 months now. I've just removed it to give Avira a try. While trying to install Avira though, it warned that it has identified 3 potential incompatible software and recommended that these be uninstalled. These are Comodo Firewall, Comodo Antivirus( i'm only using the Firewall though) and SpywareBlaster. Should i just continue installing the antivirus anyway without removing the firewall and SpywareBlaster? Coz these 2 are very important part of my security.

19. Major Attitude

I had no such error with my firewall but I use a router. It didnt flag me on SpywareBlaster for some reason. Can't you just tell Avira that it is ok or to ignore?

20. seelisilus

seelisilus Private E-2

I was actually surprised it flagged me on Comodo and SpywareBlaster...hasn't happened on any antivirus i've used. I was all set to continue installing Avira and just ignore this warning..but wanted some opinions here just to be sure. Should i go ahead anyway?

21. Major Attitude

Again I would if ignore is an option because you know the programs are trusted.

22. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have Avira AntiVir, Comodo Firewall, and SpywareBlaster on all my machines.
    Have never had any problems.

23. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Worth noting that the top 3 are all shareware. I have been saying for over a year now that Norton is back <<

I totally agree with Major Attitude. Norton Rules!

I used both AVG Free edition as well as Zone Alarm as a firewall for many years. However this year I decided to try out Norton Internet Security; mostly because when I switched my ISP to Comcast and the full version of Norton Internet Security 2012 was provided free of charge. Also a plus: Comcast allows its customers to install the suite on as many computers as you have in your home - all free of charge! Many internet providers in the US provide free AV products; such as RCN and Verizon which both offer their customers McAfee Active Protection free AV and firewall protection. My advice: Always check your ISPs home page to see if they provide free AV protection. ;)

Anyway, there's no turning back! I'm always downloading new freeware and the NIS suite has done a great job catching any potential threats thus far. I also run Malwarebytes and have had no conflicts between them at all. The NIS suite came with several additional useful features including "Backup Now" as well as the "Smart Firewall." The firewall actually turned out to be a lot less hassle to run compared to Zone Alarm; which provided good coverage but in retrospect, I do not miss the seemingly endless pop-ups that became a bother after a while.

Side Note: If anyone decides to install Norton: If you are running an older computer (or even a newer model with less RAM memory) I strongly recommend upgrading your computer's memory to at least 2GB. I say this because I also have an old Win XP computer in the house with minimal RAM (1 GB) and when I installed and tried out the Norton Internet Security on it the computer slowed to a crawl; especially whenever I start up the computer and/or reboot.

Good Luck!

COMP

24. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Don't know about now, but several years ago, Norton had a reputation of being a serious resource hog.
    Main reason I avoided them, but now very satisfied with my current setup.

25. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

26. seelisilus

seelisilus Private E-2

Avira's ok but i guess i'll be sticking with MSE anyway. Light & Simple. Hope i removed Avira properly, with Revo.

27. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Been using the free Avira for years, but on PCs with low resources (like under 1gb RAM on XP, or 2gb on Vista/7) it can cause some lag. Comodo is good too. I've been messing around w/ Comodo quite a bit at work recently, and I really like what I see....

28. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Wow, an extensive 129 page review there. Thanks for posting a link to it.

I have avast! Free Antivirus installed on several systems. I've been pleased with it and, therefore, am reluctant to change to another antivirus program now, although Avira is tempting me. I think I'll at least wait until I have seen version 7 of avast! when it's released. I read a long forum discussion about it, based on a beta version, and it has some new features that look quite interesting. So, yeah, I think I'll wait and see what it's like before making any changes to my choice of antivirus program.

29. Spartan

Spartan Private First Class

All FREE antivirus suck compared to Paid ones such as Kaspersky and Eset's products. You get what you pay for. Less security with more false positives and a high performance hit.

I have switched from Eset Smart Security to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 and it is actually very light unlike their past versions which were a bit heavy on the system.

30. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Got anything to back that up, other than your opinion? More often than not, paid versions include nothing more than tech support for those that don't know how to use the product.

31. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Paid for or free, an antivirus product is only as good as it's scanning engine and the latest updates. Most, if not all, of the major players in both fields have loused up with sending out bad updates in the past. Will any of them never repeat those mistakes? (clue: some already have!, there are humans involved)

From my viewpoint, a sensible layered approach to security using good, free software can achieve the equivalent, if not better, security than relying on a paid suite. I would say that that has been the case for some years now.

Often, it's the independent, often one-man, freewares that have enabled many of us to stay safe as well as given us the ability to clean infected machines (including those 'protected' by paid security suites) - in some aspects, they're well in advance of many of the big names.

How to protect yourself from malware! covers most of the best free tools available and best practices for safe computing, check it for updates (Currently - "Last edited by chaslang; 01-31-12 at 00:08.. Reason: Remove outdated tools" - see the bottom line of the post) as regularly as you do your scans (during your scans?) and you won't go far wrong.

Time-consuming? Yes - but educational and empowering :) (and FREE).

32. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I disagree. If you visit their websites, most of the antivirus software makers tell somewhere on their site what the difference is between the free versions and the paid versions. For example: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download clearly shows that avast! Free is Antivirus with anti-spyware but does not include other features included with the Pro Antivirus or Internet Security package. But, as far as virus-only protection is concerned, the free version provides the same protection as the paid versions.

And, as far as a high performance hit, I sure haven't seen that with avast! Free.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds