Internet cutting out from MASSIVE usage, but usage not accounted for.

Discussion in 'Software' started by SapphireConstella, Jul 23, 2014.

1. SapphireConstella

SapphireConstella Private E-2

For over about a month now my DSL internet has been dropping randomly. It disconnects completely for a few seconds to fifteen minutes, then picks back up. This happens usually every twenty or so minutes, it's very random, so this is just a mode. The speed itself is not affected (when it's on, it's fine). I've been able to determine that the reason is somewhere on my desktop.

It's a HP Envy with intel i7 3.40 GHz. About a year and three months old, and using windows 8. I typically use google chrome for browsing, only occasionally firefox. I am connected to my internet wirelessly, which is broadcasted from the router a floor beneath me. The router is plugged into a phone jack, shared with the house phone (no problems with the phone what-so-ever). Tbaytel is my provider, and I use Kaspersky antivirus. Network details; Speed-72.0 mbps. Sent-13,936,*** and counting. Received- 244,015,*** and counting. Security type is WPA2-Personal, Encryption type is AES and we have a security key set up (That we recently changed to see if it would help, and of course it didn't).

This is what's scary;
    [​IMG]

Processes under the task manager brought up nothing, but looking at the Wi-fi under the Performance tab showed that something is definitely going on. The amount of Wi-fi usage spikes HUGE amounts! But at the time I took this screenshot, I was only running an antivirus full scan (which turned up nothing), google chrome on this site, and had both the task manager and the resource monitor open. These spikes happen frequently and, regardless of what I am doing online, they don't change. But it's definitely my computer, as the problem only arises when I am using it.

I recently did a small experiment with some websites. After hanging around on this site for a while, the wi-fi quieted down. Going to Youtube caused the wi-fi to spike, and consequently, drop entirely. It spiked several times after that, and when I closed youtube, and opened another site, the spike was tenfold what it was at first within sixty seconds. It was like a ripple effect, the website opened and cause several spikes to happen one after another. Then once they were closed, the spikes got smaller and eventually died down. Any website seems to do this, including google, and this one.

I have uninstalled any and all file sharing programs that may be causing this. (including Electric Sheep, but I doubt it had anything to do with it, not really file sharing) I've had the plug replaced (some guy came in and gave us a new filter?) for the ethernet cables and got a new router right from Tbaytel. I've raked my brain for any other possible changes that I may have done to my computer a month ago. But nothing comes to mind that would cause such an effect on the wi-fi. Most of what I have and what I do, I've been doing for over a year.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. Tbaytel basically told me that it's not their problem anymore, and that I had to figure out where it's all going myself. I consider myself to be barely tech savvy, so I really don't know what else to try.

For the love of god please help! I don't know how much longer I can go without my MMOs...

P.S. Thought the power plan might do something, changed it from balanced to power saver. No change.

2. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

About your new router...
    How long have you been using it or since when did you got it?
    How long has it been opened? Have you tried powercycling it? (Turning it off and then on)

Also, Have you tried testing it while your laptop is directly plugged in on your router with an ethernet cable? (Try speedtest.net)

Does this happen to other of your computers or device?
    Does Tbaytel do line testing when you called them?

3. SapphireConstella

SapphireConstella Private E-2

Apologies for the late reply. It's gotten really bad, and I'm using someone elses internet right now.
    The new router has been in use for about two months now. I have tried doing a hard reset on it a few times with no change. My laptop runs like a dream when plugged in directly. So as long as my desktop isn't connected. Our connection, without interference, runs at a download speed of 15mbps.

I did notice a program that was using up an alarming amount of my computers' CPU by looking at the details in the task manager. It comes up as ave.exe. I'm trying to find what it's from, but I'm not sure what to look for.

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

:)
    ave.exe search results lead me to an adware program called "BrowseToSave".

5. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

If you are sure of this, we can already assume your connection (from your ISP to your router atleast) is very healthy. Again, try to use speedtest.net. Just be wary of the WiFi signal strength as it is usually the cause of disconnections.

It's probably malware (I tried searching it on google). Please check your Kaspersky's detection logs.

Go to this thread. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    Try to first use MalwareByte's anti-malware if you are pressed on time.

6. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

:major Definitely malware....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds