XP2 SEARCH won't work, file missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by ej1245, May 5, 2005.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi, I'm battling spyware removal at the moment (aurora) and somehow my win xp sp2 search function no longer works. i get an error

"A File That Is Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found"

I went to the microsoft website and downloaded the hotfix, however it doesn't work with sp2!!! anybody know how to fix this???

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

My guess, from a previous experience, is that, in your spyware-removing crusade, you removed something related to the C:\Windows\srchasst folder, whose contents are legitimate WinXP files, even though it sounds like spyware. Beside the "char" and "mui" subfolders, it should contain msgr3en.dll, nls302en.lex, srchctls.dll, and srchui.dll. You can restore the files from your XP CD, or just copy them from another Windows installation.

3. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

i just checked, i have all those files in windows, any other ideas? I ran windows

sfc /scannow that didn't help either

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Is "You may need to run setup." at the end of the error?

Steve

5. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

yes, thats what it says. i can't get to windows update now either, its just a blank page.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Possible Solution:

Reinstall the Search Companion Files:
    1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
    2. Click Start>> Run. Type in: %systemroot%\inf [Enter]
    3. Scroll the resulting list and locate the Srchasst.inf file. If it doesn't seem to be listed, try adjusting your folder options to view hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer:

Open Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>> View tab.
    Tick the "Show hidden files and folders" entry.
    Apply the change and exit Explorer.

4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. Windows will now attempt to install the Search Companion files.

Note: You may be prompted for the Windows XP CD to complete the installation so please have it ready.

If this continues to occur after disconnecting from the Internet, it may be caused by corrupted files that have been cached. I have the three possible files that may be causing this listed below. Open them in notepad so that you can determine the source of the corruption.

Balloon.xsl
    Bar.xsl
    Lclsrch.xml

Hope this helps.

Steve

7. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

where are they? C:windows? is hard finding them without the search tool, yahoo msgr crashes too

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did you enable view hidden files and folders?

Open Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>> View tab.
    Tick the "Show hidden files and folders" entry.
    Apply the change and exit Explorer.

Steve

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You should find the file in C:\Windows\Inf folder. Simply right-click and select Install.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds