.modd & .moff extensions

Discussion in 'Software' started by kennyg49, Jul 14, 2009.

1. kennyg49

kennyg49 Private E-2

My wife just bought me a Sony DCR-SR47 camcorder and I used it on a recent vacation. Over half the files have either modd or moff file extensions and Windows Media Player doesn't support these extensions. I've tried searching the net but I always end up a some place that says it is free and then ends up wanting a charge for their program. I'm not even sure if their program would solve the situation. Can anyone tell me why some of the files have these extensions and others have the .mpeg? Any help would be greatly appreciated. These are movies of our 1st grandchild at the ocean...

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A little research pointed me to the free program SDcopy (direct download link: http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=280.0;id=153) and more info can be found here or here. I have no idea if it will work for your scenario, but it's worth a shot. I also read that .MOD files are basically the same as MPEG files and you can simply change the extension manually from .MOD to .MPG (Yes, I know you said your extension is MODD but I think it is the same as MOD which is a common extension for Canon and JVC cams). I also read the files are encoded as MPEG-2. This means that if you have DVD playback software installed (like PowerDVD for example) you can play the files with it. If you don't have DVD playback software installed, and you're starting the wonderous journey into video encoding/decoding/transcoding, then I strongly recommend that you install the KLite Mega Codec Pack. It includes every codec and filter you're likely to need for converting/encoding video and audio to/from most formats, including MPEG-2 (which is the same as a DVD). The KLite pack also includes GSpot (an excellent tool for providing info on which codec was used to encode a particular file) and Media Player Classic, which is an excellent easy-to-use media player to take advantage of all the codec. After installing the KLite pack, you should be able to right-click the MODD files, select "Open With...", select "Media Player Classic", and the file should start playing.

I hope this helps!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds