Hard disk failure, replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morgenmuffel, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Morgenmuffel

Morgenmuffel Private E-2

Hi there. Recently, my computer gave me a message about hard disk errors. I don't have much experience dealing with these types of problems, but I did a bit of digging around. The message mentioned ST31000528AS ATA Device, and I did a search for SeaTools. Both failed the SMART, and I checked with Hard Disk Sentinel as well:

Failure Predicted - Attribute: 5 Reallocated Sectors Count, Count of sectors moved to the spare area. Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read/write heads.
    There are 4015 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
    Replace hard disk immediately.

I have the more important files copied to an external drive, but I don't really know much about a good replacement or how to go about handling the replacement. Just paranoid about my clumsy tendencies I guess, haha.

I was wondering if you have suggestions for replacement or advice on how to go about this. My folks have an ASUS Desktop PC CG5275. I believe we have a recovery disk that came with it as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Download and run this useful utility

http://download.cnet.com/CrystalDiskInfo/3000-2086_4-10832082.html

post here the hdd specifications !! :wave

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Im not sure if you are UK or US Based but here is your drive in the UK

http://www.dabs.com/products/seagate-barracuda-1tb-7200rpm-32mb-sata-300-5G7R.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_content=PZ00&utm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign=Man%20Codes%20|%20Components%20|%20Hard%20Drives
    If you are in the states (or elsewhere) just put the drive model into google and you should get a result.

You have a number of options as far as transferring data goes. If you have an original Windows Disk I would recomend re-installing from scratch then adding your old drive as a second disk to copy your files off. If not you can use something like Acronis or EaseUS Todo to clone your drive. There are lots of tools out there that you can use to clone disks.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just a short note when looking at replacements you will want SATA interface. 1TB or larger drives only come in SATA interface but just wanted to make it clear that other than the correct interface the size is up to you. So if you see a 1.5 or 2TB on sale for similar price to a 1TB they will work fine.

5. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

This is quite true. You can utilise any SATA drive, I have just linked to the same make and model as you currently have installed

6. sach2

One last thought is if that computer is only a year or so old as a quick google seems to show it might be worth contacting Asus to see if the HD is under warranty. The HD manufacturer will tell you to contact Asus so don't bother contacting the manufacturer.

Asus warranty says it is voided if you enter the case so might give a quick call or contact from website to see if there is an option for replacement. Might not be worth sending the whole computer back but some manufacturer's will send out a replacement part.

7. Morgenmuffel

Morgenmuffel Private E-2

Checking my warranty card and receipt, I think it's a no go. Folks bought this April of last year, and the label sticker reads 12 months. :(

Hm... do you have any preferences/recommendations? I know reliability may be somewhat subjective, but I figure eh, whatever can make me feel a bit more at ease at the end of the day. I'm willing to keep an open mind about various prices.

Alrighties, attachment below.

Attached Files:

8. sach2

I've never bothered with HD warranties but they generally are at least 3 years. The manufacturer's say you have deal with your computer maker for replacement because of some licensing agreement. Technically, Asus should replace the HD--whether it is worth the hassle is up to you. If they want you to send the whole machine in then I would forget it. If they agree to send a replacement and ask you to send the old HD back it may be worth it.

That said I think everyone has different opinions about brands going from their personal experience. I had 3 Maxtor (now Seagate) drives go bad on me around the 1 year mark and switched to Western Digital. I've had much better luck with them but that was 10 years ago so Seagate may be a great drive now but I wouldn't know. I just glanced at Newegg and Seagate drives seem to be better rated than WD but I've never had a problem with WD. I usually just get one on sale at one of the major retailers.

Maybe someone that understands the more technical specifications of drives can point you to a good choice with reliability being your major concern, although sometimes I think it is just the luck of the draw.

9. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

I have had Seagate, Maxtor and lately Samsung drives. I think it is mainly luck. Touch wood I have never had a drive go bad.

10. locodave

locodave Corporal

11. Morgenmuffel

Morgenmuffel Private E-2

Thanks everyone. Also, as far as installation goes, is there anything I should be concerned about? It's been a while since I've handled parts, but I remember static being an issue.

12. garydonpowell

garydonpowell Private E-2

Howdy!
    I just installed another Hdd, a Seagate 1t Barracuda, and set it up as my boot drive. I put my existing Seagate(5yrs)drive in offline mode. When in offline mode, does the drive still run, or is it just seen as offline? I want to keep it as a backup in case of a crash and burn! Any advice?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds