Have i fried something ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MadEddi, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

I attempted to add some memory to my no.2 PC. I replaced a 128mb stick/card with a 256mb stick. It is a K7 mobo with and amd/athlon 1.2 Ghz chip. Previously it had 2 128mb pieces of memory, the 256 piece came from an identical PC that had stopped working.

Any help or suggestios would be gratefully accepted.
    :)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You haven't actually told us the problem :)

3. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Sorry, the pc doesn't turn on or attempt to boot, there is no sign of life from the hard drive and a blank screen.

I have a spare video card if necessary but i think i have caused a problem when i changed the memory, i have put it back how it was and no life.

4. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

I've just tried a different hard drive and it booted. There was a message saying CMOS battery low and something about CMOS memory being incorrect, it wasn't on the screen long.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sounds like you've got your problem resolved?

Either way, if you would like to replace the CMOS battery, its small, round, metallic, and on your motherboard. They're usually CR2032s, but you can check on it to be sure. They're cheap to replace (I got one for $5), and it is just a matter of pressing a latch to remove one. They last about 3-5 years, and can cause some weird problems, most notably system instability.

6. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Yeah kind of, the working hard drive is infected, but i think i can clean it up ok .

Will the other hard drive be out of action ? I'll check it.

7. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

I've tried the 256 stick with the drive that works, and nothing happened, no boot. Also when both original 128 sticks were in it only registered 128meg of memory so one is fried perhaps ???

8. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Are some of my sticks out of action ??? I only got 128 meg of ram now. I got 3 128 sticks and 1 256 stick and it seems only 1 is working now. :(

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would try taking the ram out, cleaning the contacts with compressed air and/or contact cleaner, and re-inserting them, so that they sit firmly, and the latches snap into place on their own.

Then, try Memtest86+

10. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

OK, i've got the memtest iso file. When i burn a cd should i instruct the burner to make it a bootable disc ???

11. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

it sounds like maybe a bad RAM slot, have ou tested the 256mb stick in the other slot?

12. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

I think the 256 stick is bad, i've got it back to normal with 2 128's working now. Everytime i put the 256 in it wouldnt boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds