Bathroom Project

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lev, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Big project going down this weekend - ripping out the old bathroom, literally. Sink, toilet, tub, walls, ceiling and floor and some sub flooring. A slow leak over several years has meant rot and mold. We only have 1 full bathroom and 1 half, so the race is on to get this project done in a weekend so we can have a shower!!

Here's the "before" photos .......check out the color coming through the linoleum from the rotting wood below; the crack in the toilet; and I hate that shower curtain so much. The defective (missing) extractor fan hasn't helped since there is no window in the bathroom. This room has needed attention for a long, long time.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Few more "before" pics...Just hasten to add, this room was like this long before I ever got here ;)

3. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Weekend projects, my favorite! I wish you luck and let me give you some advice. Try and tile the inside around the tub all the way up to the ceiling. We have dry wall and paint above the shower encasing and it needs to be scrapped, sanded, patched, primed, and painted ever two years. It's a nightmare.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

We are replacing the tub with a full walk in shower with seats, so the plastic/fiberglass shower surround will be in place. We are also getting the waterproof sheet rock, waterproof undercoat and waterproof paint for the rest of the room that doesn't have the shower surround.

5. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Well, it looks like you have it all covered. :D Good luck!

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thanks..I sure hope so. I ache so much already!! Was a good excuse to go out and buy a nice new Craftsman 19v cordless drill :D

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

A word to the wise, as a contractors son, and one who has renovated six homes and built three, and starting on number four. I would not consider that a Week-end project Lev, more like a two week part timer. Once the "rock" is removed you will more than likely see more water damage to the Insulation and studs. Re insulate all the walls with solid 4" foam board, and cover with exterior grade vapour barrier. Your on the right track with the Waterproof Rock, lots just put it around the tub area only(probable know this but sheet rock goes horizontal not vertical & sheet joints overlap). From the looks of the floor, you are looking at re sheeting it, and skin coating it smooth with a water proof polymer, or in two to three years you will have to redo the floor. From the condensation on the roof, I would again put in 4" foam board with vapour barrier, and the biggest quietest fan possible (Cheap fans just don't cut it). Watch those Fibreglass/Plastic tub/shower enclosures, they are prone to scratching, so be careful of the cleaning products you use Comet/Ajax/Abrasive cleaners are out. Spend good money on the flooring, preferable the linoleum that you just glue on the edges, this allows the flooring to move with temperature changes.

Hey I hope I haven't come across as a busy body, but having done a few, I know the mistakes I have made, and don't want to see you and hubby have to repeat mine.

Wishing you and hubby all the best with your project, and looking forward to seeing the "Finished" results.

8. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I see what you mean about the wooden floor and linoleum <*yech!>, and the missing exhaust fan. Over here, there very strict council building codes, and all bathroom and laundries have to have concrete floors (usually tiled). I have wooden floors in my house but the bathrooms and laundry areas are concrete.

Anyway, I hope all the renovations go well, Lev. :)

9. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Is there a specific reason for the concrete or just rot prevention? Humid there right?

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Enjoy Lev :)

11. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Good Luck with the 'renov' project Lev!

I must get to mine one of these days......'sigh'

Regards..

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

there's just something about having a nice bathroom to walk into. The wife and I had ours done late last year and it just makes the house a bit nicer ;)

Good luck with your project! :)

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

For Randy or for you? Have fun with the bathroom

14. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Best of luck Lev!!

Can't wait till I get somewhere that I can do stuff like that. I would love to be able to do something with the closet that is our bathroom. Huge 2 br apt, and a tiny little closet of a bathroom.... can't even fit 2 ppl in the shower.... LOL

~C

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thanks for all the encouragement, advise and tips guys :) The project is going well so far. Two of our plumber friends turned up for the bathroom party, and one of our neighbors who is a general contractor. The latter suggest a double shower head installation, which we hadn't thought about, and the plumber guys were very obliging :D We made great headway today, with all the plumbing completed, new floor laid, and Randy is installing the heater/fan/light as I type. Tomorrow is shower, sheetrock, texture and paint, and time allowing, the tiled flooring.

@Musky...if it says Craftsman on it, it'smine :D

@BCGray - good call on the Ajax...had an enamel tub before and used the stuff, so going to throw it away right now before someone accidently uses it!

Photos from today....

16. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

More pics from today...

17. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

It will be freaking awesome...I am so excited....two shower heads!!!! Yesssss!

18. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Look out Randy!

19. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

LOL ...

20. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Looks like you got the hard part (and FUN part done) I can't wait to see the after shots
    I knew you were a smart girl! ;)

21. brksta

brksta Corporal

Wow Lev Well done its looking really good, looks like you'se have done heaps

Keep up the good work. (P.S Nice Pics)

Alwayz Brooke

22. Phantom

Yeah, just that water and wood don't do well together when they soak though, or get through, even a tiny crack or hole in the linoium. Tiled concrete is pretty easy to keep clean. Need a bathroom mat, though. Otherwise you could have a nasty slipage.

@ Lev. Looks like the Bathroom mods are coming along great. Will be nice when it's all finnished, eh. :cool

23. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Looking good Lev!!! I know what you mean about the 2 shower heads. I have plans that are put away for safe keeping for building one of those deluge systems where it is like standing in the rain, the nozzles are all on the overhead portion.

Can't wait to see the after shots :)

~C

24. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

We now have a ceiling, walls and a brand new sub-floor and floor. The mud is going on and last sanding tonight when I get home before I put the waterproof undercoat on. Shower is all in place, except the doors until we have painted. The really hard work is done; now it is just making the place look good.

We went over the neighbor's for showers last night. He is the contractor who persuaded is to go for the double shower head as he has that in his. Man, I am so happy he persuaded us to do that as it is awesome!

More photos later today.....I haven't uploaded them to the lappy yet. Oh yeah, having a stomach virus is not a great plan when you have your main bathroom out of commission and 3 times as many people in your house as usual ;)

25. darlene1029

Looking forward to seeing it, bummer working and being sick. I'm jealous - changed my toilet paper roll thats the extent of my efforts:D

26. darlene1029

something to consider in a house full of men

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  27. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

And don't forget to remind them to wipe the seat if they sprinkle... :)

Not needed in my home, we have 4 dogs, the toilette seat stays down so no one has potty breath :)

~C

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Something has bothered me for years, Darlene. My wife and I have an agreement that I can leave the seat up until she goes to bed, then it must go down so that she doesn't fall in, during the night. (She might forget to put it down) My question is: Does that make men smarter because they can remember to put it down when they are done?confused

29. darlene1029

I'm not getting in that one, I can say not many more things are a shocker as in the dark hitting that cold porcelain, that'll wake up the babies (the scream). There are seats that lower themselves now too.

30. darlene1029

Good idea, nothing worse than potty breath, :highfive

31. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I was just being a smart *** Darlene:p but that issue is the true battle of the sexes.;)

32. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Looking good, Lev! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I enjoy big projects like this. I get my sons over for a big chili dinner and a work-a-thon, and we all have a good time. The last work-a-thon (not nearly as involved as your project) was building the furnace room enclosure and door . . . before that was fininshing out the kid's room in the basement (they nicknamed it "The Pit") . . . both good clean fun.

I share your love for Craftsman tools . . . :drool . . . all my major tools are Craftsman, some I've had for 25 years or more.

Good luck! :)

33. Phantom

No 'battle' involved for me. I always close the seat AND the lid. That way no dreaded Mr.Hankys can escape.;) I admit some women have still complained that they went in a hurry and sat on the lid. My first thoughts were "How hard is it to see a toilet lid?" rolleyes

Then again, maybe I'm just strange. :eek:

Back O.T. - Good deal on the new bathroom renovations, Lev. They're looking great. makes me wonder if I should renovate my old bathroom and kitchen.

....On second thoughts, it's still summer, a.t.m., - "How about No!". :D

34. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Lol . . . I just noticed this discussion. It brings to mind a discussion my oldest son and I had about this very subject. He was wondering where it was "written" that the man was the one who had to make sure the seat was always down when he left the bathroom . . .

I just clasped his shoulder, gave a sad little grin and shake of my head, and said, "Son, you are engaged to be married in two months. Come to me after you celebrate your first wedding anniversery, and I will tell you the answer . . . "

They have been married now for over a year . . . and he hasn't brought it up again. Of course, he now knows the answer . . . LOL

True story! (more or less . . . with a little artistic license . . . lol).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  35. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Last night I got the undercoat on the walls.....yayyyyy!!! Starting to look like a room again now, though I shall be cleaning dust from the rest of the house for all eternity!! Srpay the orange peel texture on tonight :D

Nice discussion on toilet seats guys ;) On that topic, we bought a high level toilet so we can actually get off the toilet once finished.....his knees and my hips don't work like they used to LOL. For me, it isn't a female convenience thing having the guys put the toilet seat down after use, it's just I hate walking into a bathroom and seeing the seat up. It's like the toilet is just mouth opened wide screaming at me ....

PEOPLE PEE IN ME

roflmao

36. darlene1029

Well Dan (my man) was taught I suppose by his mother :tas probably very young so I have never experienced that with him. In fact when company comes and leaves the seat up it looks strange. I have ran in the house from shopping and plunked onto the lid, a jarring experience.:eek:

37. darlene1029

Sorry, see what happenes when you leave us alone for too long

38. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

We need pics Lev, before this thread goes even further down the pipes

39. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You finished yet?

40. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Pics are in the camera still, I'll try and get it done tonight.

No I'm not done Halo. Last night we sanded , cleaned up all the dust ready for the clean work, and I got the undercoat on. That was 9pm and I still had to drive over to our daughter's for a shower. How do we say 'knackered' ....

Tonight I hope to get the texture on and if it dries, a coat of color. Our general contrctor friend is bringing his electrician round tonight to wire up the new lights and fan/light in the ceiling. Then we still have 1 more coat of paint, the laminate floor to lay, toilet and sink/vanity unit to put in; add new bathroom door and paint, and all the wood trim surround to the walls/floors/door. I'm thinking we will be finished this weeked...just in time for me to go to Chicago for the week....typical :cry

41. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Well, you are in the finishing stage, it sounds like. Shouldn't take long. And nothing beats doing your own work to make you proud of your self

42. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I got the texture and paint color on last night :D

Tonight we were planning to start putting down the flooring and sealant, but I got a call at 6:00am this morning from our neighbor, who is the contractor. He obviously saw our bedroom lights go on and called immediately! (You think he was peeping? ;)) He decided to take the day off and come over and work on our bathroom while we are at work, as he wanted to get it finished for us before I take off to Chicago next week!! How totally sweet is that? (I'm going to have to do a lot of work on their PC this weekend LOL). The beauty of this whole thing is we have made two awesome friends out of him and his wife - they are really nice people and we hope to spend a lot more time hanging out with them :) I knew 2007 was to be the Year of the Friends :D

Anyway....photos below...

43. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

More pics...and no, I didn't push the wall over in the last photo.....Randy likes to take what he would call 'artistic' photos LOL

Not sure you can make the color out too good in these....it's a really warm, but not dark, tan/beige color.

44. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Nope, not gonna say what I was thinkingrolleyes That's look really good, Lev;)

45. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OMG...just got off the phone...our friend, who is a plumber, also took the day off and is at my house finishing off the bathroom today.

I'm overwhelmed here...

46. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

:celebratefor Lev

47. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

wtg lev. looks great. I love the newspaper look to the walls. Really gives that art deco look to it :)

congrats on getting it done sooner than later :) Hope the smell isn't too bad tho ;)

~C

48. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

you'll be proud of the finished product. I had mine done last yr. full bath in hallway and 3/4 off master bdrm. I had the entire shower taken out of the 3/4 and redone with membrane/concrete and ceramic tile in floor. New ceramic tops to both lavatories and ceramic floors and new sinks. I did a lot of it myself but had the tile done. I love it.

Jack

49. Phantom

Looks like everyone is working extra hard on the project, Lev. New bathroom and new friends. Couldn't ask for more! ;)

50. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

LOL @ Calltaker :D

Well, it looks fabulous!!. I had the most amazing shower this morning in my OWN home. See the attached photos - not everyone can say they've shared their shower with a bunch of geeks all at once LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds