Need Backup Utility (Bootable CD)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Serok, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Serok

Serok Private E-2

Hi guys,
    I need to find a program that has this features:

Browse and Burn files (in an ntfs partition)
    Bootable from cd
    Really Easy to use (Dummy Proof)
    Freeware (& legal)

I need this program for a friend (he's not a computer savy) who has his computer down and need to recover data, before reinstalling windows/replacing HDD

I have used several linux Live CDs like knoppix, Slax, PuppyLinux etc, but they are too complicated for my friend, so I just need a really easy to use tool (bootable cd that lets you explore & burn to CD/DVD in ntfs) to help my friend to do this backup.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If your friend is used to Windows you can make him a Bart PE CD and use deep burner..
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugin_Details/508/DeepBurner.html

That is as *easy* as it will get.

http://www.deepburner.com/

fyi: To make Barts Cd .. download the pebuilder zip package, get an XP disc, put the deepburner plug-in unrar'd in the plugins folder along with any other files it needs (read the html info file), run bart and select to enable the deep burner option and burn a disk or create an ISO... that is the 30 second instructions... hope it helps!

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yep Barts is the way to go.... I use a variety of Barts on a regular basis. It's called the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win). It was downloadable from MajorGeeks a while back, but I'm not sure if it still here. If not, you can get it from www.ubcd4win.com and the info on how to "build" the CD is there too. You'll need a full version non-OEM Windows XP disc to do it, but it's totally kick-a$$ when you're done. It's like a live Windows XP CD full of all types of utilities including antivirus, file mgmt, burning tools, and tons of others. Check it out!

hd2k

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. Serok

Serok Private E-2

Thank you guys for all of your suggestions,

This Bart PE CD sounds really interersting, is it legal to use it?(it needs to be legal in this case)
    By the way, does anyone know one utility that you just have to download it, burn the .iso image and be ready to boot from CD and be able to explore ntfs partition and burn files to cd/dvd?

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Barts is legal, M$ hasn't had a problem with them yet (*cough* autopatcher)
    But outside a Linux Live CD, there is no ready made CD with Windows - that WOULD be illegal. That is why you have to roll your own Barts PE disk & you have to have a Win OS disk.

7. Serok

Serok Private E-2

Thank you Foogoo, Hopperdave2000 and Major Attitude, for your suggestions.

It seems that this is the way to go. I will tell my friend to build his own Bart PE CD to recover his files.

Thank you Majors:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds