Windows Vista System Restore Location

Discussion in 'Software' started by cwf, Apr 23, 2008.

1. cwf

cwf Private E-2

Is it possible to move/store System Restore files to another drive partition?

If so, how?

If not, what's the most efficient way to manage System Restore files to keep System Restore in play but not take up so much space (currently 6+ GB on 40 GB partition)?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not as far as I know is there any options to move the System Volume Information folder ( the one that houses the SR points ) to another partition or drive, however you can via a command window, change the anount of max space that Vista uses to save SR points so that this will reduce the space of your HD that it uses ( by default it uses 15% of the max size so on todays large HDs this can be over 10GB+ )

You will need to run the below command from an elevated CMD window so to do this click Start and in the Start Search Box type cmd, when it shows inthe search window right click it and choose run as administrator, then enter the below command in.

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=6GB (6GB is an example )

So you could change the bold GB figure to anything you wish. Vista will if your HD is getting low on free space automatically adjust this size and save fewer SR points and give you back more free space. I also tend to every month goto Disk Cleanup and manually purge all restore points apart from last one, especially if my PC is working well as many SR points maybe from a while back and old.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It's a pity that MS didn't leave the XP slider option into Vista. I guess MS were trying to help us, whether we wanted the help or not. :D Thanks for the Vista method, Halo. Bazza

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Kinda suprised it went missing myself Bazza.

5. cwf

cwf Private E-2

Yeah, I did that. It was set for 9GB, was up to 7.5 (from 6 yesterday). took it down to 2, but may just sp[lit the difference at place it at 4.

Other research points not being able to move the location (must be on same partition). Oh well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds