searching on windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by dragonmum, Aug 12, 2012.

1. dragonmum

dragonmum Private E-2

Hi Geeks,
    in xp there was a button to search for pictures music and video, there is no such thing in 7 and third party downloads have been too complex. I need a simple point and click search that works in 7 that is easy for a 56 year old blonde non geek. is there such a thing? :cry

2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Hi.

Yes! There is :) It is actually built into your start menu. If you press start (the button in the bottom left) and look at the start menu, at the bottom there is a text box that says "Search programs and files". Simply type your search query in here, and press enter.

3. dragonmum

dragonmum Private E-2

if I type pictures in that it doesn't show me all the pictures on the computer, it wants more information that I can give it

4. LI_Geek_95

This is a box where you can type a filename. If you would like your pictures, click start > pictures. There is another search up at the top right of that window.

5. dragonmum

dragonmum Private E-2

this may sound silly but I need it to find every picture like xp used to, this 7 search is very limiting to me and I can't find a way through

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Windows is sometimes not as 'user friendly' as it is supposed to be... for example, if you wanted to find all of the pictures in the "My Computer" folder

The search function in Windows 7 is also not very clear on exactly how to perform this task (XP had this feature)

To search for all "certain kind" of media or other types of files; you can use the following trick:

1). Go to and 'open' whatever folder you that want to search from
    2). On the search bar to the top-right type kind:
    3). You should then see a drop down to various kinds of search - choose the one you want and hit enter
    4). If you want to find all pictures, the search would be kind:=picture
    5). If you want to search for pictures in addition to something else then it would be "kind:=music" or "kind:=pictures" or "kind:=videos" (important note: without the quotes)

Side Note: You might also want to 'copy and save' the above steps; either to a Word document or perhaps save this page to your browsers 'favorites folder' for future reference.

Original Source of this Information: Windows 7 find all pictures

Good Luck! -- COMP

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  7. dragonmum

dragonmum Private E-2

Well Done Compuable I hope other poor souls find this thread.

5 stars

8. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Well Done Compuable I hope other poor souls find this thread. dragonmum <<

Oh anytime, dragonmum... My pleasure, really and I'm always especially happy to help out any 'geeks-in-training' out there! (lol) ;)

Side Note: By the way, the freeware app called 'Everything" is actually my favorite 3rd-party search tool. Unlike many others out there, it is very easy to get to know and use and I highly recommend it, as well.

For those who may not fancy the Windows 7 search; you can download it from right here at Major Geeks if you wish to try it out. I actually use this utility so often that I have it "pinned" to my taskbar for easy access.
    Good Luck! -- COMP​

9. LI_Geek_95

Thank you, Compuable. I never knew about the kind:= command.

10. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Thank you, Compuable. I never knew about the kind:= command. Zack Magee <<

Oh anytime Zack... Regarding uncovering (or rediscovering) using the newer tweaks; I always go by the old saying: "If you search for tweaks and tips... They will come!" (lol) :major

I actually love using Windows 7 over XP; even with the many quirks and differences from the older OS. It was the same for me when XP was released and at that time it was far superior to Windows 2000, as well.

The newer Windows 7 operating system is far and away faster; especially when running new 64-bit software apps. And I've also found that it experiences WAY less crashes than Windows XP, at least in my opinion.

I'll also say this unequivocally: When I got my first XP computer, I probably had minor and sometimes major crashes almost monthly (and even weekly sometimes). Not so with Win 7, at least within my experiences.

Also, in my case; even though the Win 7 OS updates entirely differently - I actually like it that new way and have had very few bugs during the process of updating - at least thus far anyway.

Good Luck! -- COMP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds