Buying first phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by Rikky, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Not a clue which one to get.

I want an android? Smartphone with a largish touch screen and touch qwerty keyboard, capable of playing hd videos and recording in 720p and at least 5mp camera, I'd really like a decent camera.

I'm hoping someone can point me toward what I should be looking at and what I do need.

Budget is around £100-£200/$200-400 so not that much really, will most likely be signing up to giff gaff sim only contract after phone purchase.

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I'm not the one to ask, I've just ordered one for a £5.............. LOL Best of luck in your search for a nice blower, mate. :)

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Sim free means unlocked?

I guess I can see why people don't want a contract with a carrier, but really you get a hell of a lot more phone with the contract and you can always leave when your contract is up...and get a new phone with a new carrier that you want and often pay nothing for some great phones that have been out for a bit.

I haven't researched it, but I can't imagine with the price of the phone and the monthly fee that you have to pay anyway, that you are saving much money on an averaged monthly basis going the unlocked route. But again, maybe you do.

Looking at that giffgaff plan, make sure you get a plan with unlimited texting (because no matter how little you think you'll text, once your family and friends know you have it, you'll get more than 300 easily). Also, for 2 pounds more a month, get the unlimited internet. 1 GB is plenty for me, but my kids go through 2.5 GB a month and its not more only because they are shut off after that until the new cycle.

As far as Androids, I'm not sure what the unlocked costs are for them are, but I know people like the Samsung Galaxy SIII and I think it has a fairly large screen. They all have the touchscreen qwerty keyboard as far as I know.

4. Rikky

A paper cup and string?:-D

5. Kestrel13!

...roflmao It suits all of my basic needs.

6. Rikky

BTW Kestrel can you have this thread moved to the hardware sectionroflmao

Do I have to post threads in the right section myself? :-D

7. Kestrel13!

:-d ...

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Samsung S5 is a good bet. There's some good competition but after all my shopping and research, Samsung leads the way. I bought a note because the big screen eliminates the need for a tablet. To get the best features, you need one of the good players. Also, consider the used market, there's plenty of used mint condition phones for sale on websites, Craigslist and if you use Facebook a lot of town have local yard sale pages, one of my new favorite ways to bargain shop locally.

Good luck!

9. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Hey Rikky, my son has recently got a Sony Xperia Z2 and previously had the Z1. He really likes the camera and it is fully waterproof so he often takes it swimming. The only downside I see is it is rather large in size making which pocket a tricky choice although this doesn't seem to bother my son. They are pretty dear so you probably would need to leverage one with a contract ;)
    Previously to the Sony Z1 he had a Samsung Galaxy and that was also a great phone but not waterproof and it died while at a mate's place for a BBQ when his so called "mates" rolleyes tossed him fully clothed into the swimming pool LOL ......... yes his pants got very hot and yes alcohol was involved rolleyes
    Hence one of his reasons for wanting a waterproof phone ;):cool
    Here is a link

Personally I still have a two year old Blackberry Torch because it is still going strong and as my boss gave me the phone brand new for free (I supply the SIM), I think it is the right price for a just OK phone :p

10. Rikky

Thanks for all the reply's:)

Practically every contract in the UK is 24 months and I don't want to sign up for anything for two years, my life is currently running on a week by week basis and I can't afford any more monthly expenditures, I also can't be bothered researching what the best deal is when I don't know what I want myself having never owned a single phone.

@ MA Looked at the used market but preferred something new, I would have definitely gone for the S3, I actually did go for the S3 for free from a family member but it stopped working as soon as I touched it:-D

@Laura if I'll be signing up to a contract with a decent phone such as a HTC or Iphone but first I need to get used to having a phone, I'm pretty clumsy at times and as my bro pointed out I will break this phone within a month or so, I dropped it hard on concrete the first day I owned it but luckily I got a screen protector professionally fitted and a good protective cover so no damage.

So the phone names posted have been entered into a hat and one picked out at random:-D Nah went with the SONY Xperia M2, can't afford the Z2:( Got a deal for £145 with £10 credit and a clause to buy £10 more credit from them in a month.

I like SONY, sue me.

I can now argue with you all from the toilet:p

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Windows Nokia 635 is a good choice Rikky.

£135 outright buy, no contract as you can go pay n go with it or get the likes of what I have at present in a o2 Simplicity 30 day rolling contact that is unlimited calls and text (SMS to some folks) and 5GB data per month for £30 per month and its 4G also

Actually at o2 now they are £119 PnG https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/no...cAQA&gclsrc=aw.ds#activeTabNum=8&noScroll=yes

I do have a Nokia 920 tho which is a tab better than a 635 but the 635 is a great phone for 1st smartphone as my dad has one now and he is not a tech at all.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  12. Rikky

Yeah one of the problems I've ran into is the resolution of the screen and the size of the phone, I should have gone smaller but I can't type quick on those smaller screens, the xperia m has a 960x540 instead of full 720p on a 4.8inch screen so there is a little pixellation also but I'm not really too fussed ATM.

I'm on PAYG O2 but I can't recall the deal I got, it is a rolling type contract but on PAYG, I have to top upo another £10 in a month or I will lose the deal.
    My main concern ATM is remembering to take it everywhere I go and keeping it alive:-D

13. LauraR

That's definitely a problem with the contract. You can't get out of that monthly fee.

Congrats on the phone, Rikky!

Looks like you found a nice one with some covers to go with every outfit! If you put on the purple one to match your clothes, can you take a pic please and post it? LOL

Now, what's your number and I'll text you. hehe

14. Rikky

Ask and Ye shall receive, check PM. You just have one question to ask yourself Laura, do you have the balls to use it?

I'm currently installing whatsapp, as instructed by my brother.

15. DavidGP

Rikky do you use calls/texts and data a lot and do top up £10 a month?

If you already have a phone or get a SIM free one then this is best deals https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/ I'm on this as I don't need to change my Nokia 920 as its good enough. I'm on the 30 day tariff

With Windows phones turn in 180 and the keyboard is slightly bigger to type on but I know what you mean, if you can get a cheap SIM free Nokia 920 or 1020 then those are large screens.

16. LauraR

roflmao!

I was going to, but turns out I'm cheap! Sent you a pm back.

17. DavidGP

hahahaha that's why I have two mobiles ;)

But whatsapp good also see if you can get Skype app also as that's really good when you are on WiFi to make calls via WiFi so no cost!

18. Kestrel13!

:-D Yay!

Nice choice in phone Rikky. :cool

19. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Samsung phones are also a lot easier to work on. Samsung all the way. :highfive

20. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Noone had mentioned the iPhone. Our choice was simple, we went to Fry's a few years ago and the iPhone was almost instantly usable for Wifey.
    Fast forward to today, demo Siri, Cortana and Google Now. See which phone works for you and what interface you like.
    Then choose a phone.
    Choosing by brand opinion is not in your best interest.

21. Rikky

Everyone I've known who has iphones has call problems with them, not saying there's something wrong with the hardware but so many go straight through to answering machine when the phone is on it's silly.

Could be a combination of UK networks and Iphone hardware.

22. LauraR

LOL...that was a delayed response.

How's the Sony working for you?

23. Rikky

Yeah but I just had to say it, leave me alone:cry:-D

Good but for some reason the volume from the speaker has about halved so it's a struggle hearing videos and my alarm and ringtone are sometimes hard to hear, I may have dropped it in some liquid at some point but I thought I'd got away with it.:(

Love the phone though, I would it's my first.

I'm on giffgaff sim only no unlimited data, unlimited texts, 500 minutes. £15 a month. I hardly used the phone on O2 pay as you go but went through £10 of credit in less than a week, I consider PAYG sims as a straight con now.

I find this deal too much I use about 200 minutes a month, 2 gigs of data and never text, I only really use whats app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds